Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shunt reference and Series reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arunmurugesh

Hi All,
I am currently selecting a voltage reference IC, to provide an external reference to an ADC. I am not sure whether to choose a shunt voltage or series voltage reference. Kindly provide your valuble thoughts on this regard. Thanks in advance.

Keep Sminling,
Best regards,
Murugesh.K

Hi All,
I am currently selecting a voltage reference IC, to provide an external reference to an ADC. I am not sure whether to choose a shunt voltage or series voltage reference. Kindly provide your valuble thoughts on this regard. Thanks in advance.

Keep Sminling,
Best regards,
Murugesh.K

hi,:)
Do you mean shunt or series with ref to the ADC or the way the Vref is generated.?

The way the reference is generated. A series voltage reference Ic or a shunt voltage reference IC.

hi,
A common way is to use a zener diode or a voltage reference ic to generate the Vref.
Example: a resistor to a dc supply rail connected to a zener or Vref ic.
The ref voltage taken from the junction of the resistor/zener to the ADC.

I suppose that could be classed as a series ref.?

What would you consider a shunt ref.?

Your question is a little ambiguous.???

Last edited:
This appnote explains the differences between series and shunt. The selection depends on you application.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back