Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Show us your crazy projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I was just wondering if anyone else had some pretty bizzare projects like me...
like a remote controlled pnumatic potato gun...
**broken link removed**

or a snow plow on a 1991 Grand prix...
**broken link removed**

I also whipped up a 'ball' of speakers...Im gonna hook it up to a radio in my garage some day...
**broken link removed**

Cant forget the 62 leds in the headliner of my car either...(i was playing with a fog machine for this picture)
**broken link removed**

Lets see what else... My friend and I built numerous go karts and even made a lawn mower go roughly 35 mph. (we were not mowing at the time) and that transmission didnt really like shifting while going 20 MPH, it took a bit of cramming.

Also, if you want to see more pics for some bizzare reason, I have them posted at my cardomain: www.cardomain.com/id/jrz126

Sure were fun times...now we're all too busy with the joys of engineering in college to have time for stuff like this.
Anyone else have any crazy projects? or am I just extremely weird? (I'm not debating that I'm weird, I'm just wondering if Im on the excessivly weird side)

Attachments

• canon-net_edit.jpg
    canon-net_edit.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 533
Wow, that tank is awsome...I wish I had the proper tools and patients for something like that.

Does that 20kV ingnition work pretty reliably? Thats the one thing I hated about the combustion type potato guns, seemed like I was always playing with the igniter to get it to work right.

when I was a kid, I stuck a wire in the 120V socket literally shorting it. back then I didn't know what I was doing. The wire was insulated (good thing). As soon as it made contact, a spark appeared which scared me, and black ash appeared on the wall. ;)

Now if that isn't crazy, then nothing is.

jrz126 said:
I was just wondering if anyone else had some pretty bizzare projects like me...
like a remote controlled pnumatic potato gun...
**broken link removed**

or a snow plow on a 1991 Grand prix...
**broken link removed**

I also whipped up a 'ball' of speakers...Im gonna hook it up to a radio in my garage some day...
**broken link removed**

Cant forget the 62 leds in the headliner of my car either...(i was playing with a fog machine for this picture)
**broken link removed**

Lets see what else... My friend and I built numerous go karts and even made a lawn mower go roughly 35 mph. (we were not mowing at the time) and that transmission didnt really like shifting while going 20 MPH, it took a bit of cramming.

Also, if you want to see more pics for some bizzare reason, I have them posted at my cardomain: www.cardomain.com/id/jrz126

Sure were fun times...now we're all too busy with the joys of engineering in college to have time for stuff like this.
Anyone else have any crazy projects? or am I just extremely weird? (I'm not debating that I'm weird, I'm just wondering if Im on the excessivly weird side)

You need to mount the potato gun and the speakers on the Grand Prix and have some fun during snowstorms this winter :lol:

It isn't mine, but the funniest project I've seen is this lawnmower:
**broken link removed**

mstechca said:
when I was a kid, I stuck a wire in the 120V socket literally shorting it. back then I didn't know what I was doing. The wire was insulated (good thing). As soon as it made contact, a spark appeared which scared me, and black ash appeared on the wall. ;)

Now if that isn't crazy, then nothing is.

I totally agree with mstechca, When I was also a kid I used to these stuff too, and when my dad found out the black ash on the wall they used to suspect me, and they still do that.

audioguru said:
**broken link removed**

wow, that is pretty funny, but I have this slight suspision that the video is faked...it looks so realistic and everything, and it very well could be real, but I didnt think a lawnmower was very aerodynamic :lol:
but then I also dont know a whole lot about aerodynamics either.

jrz126 said:
audioguru said:
**broken link removed**

wow, that is pretty funny, but I have this slight suspision that the video is faked...it looks so realistic and everything, and it very well could be real, but I didnt think a lawnmower was very aerodynamic :lol:
but then I also dont know a whole lot about aerodynamics either.

It's hilarious! :lol: Not only do you have to worry about your neighbor mowing his lawn early on saturday mornings, but there's a risk he's gonna wake you up by crashing his mower in your house :lol:

I'm not sure, but there seems to be 2 small wing-like shapes between the wheels. I think it's real.

Edit : it's definitely real, I've watched it a second time, and you can clearly see that what appears to be the motor housing is actually a kind of spoiler/wing. The mower carcass itself is aerodynamically shaped, and even the handles seem to serve an aerodynamic/lifting purpose... :lol:

Yea i also saw that "sky cutter" I also was amazed that an lawnmower enugh arerodinamic to aculy fly.

I tryed to fly whith my lawmmowler but it wont take off.Meany i need to instal an nitro boster to it. LOL :lol: Nitro lawnmower (that is one of the stupid things i didnt see on the net)

audioguru said:
**broken link removed**

That is pretty old they showed that last year on The Screen Savers now known as Attack Of The Show.

I believe that it was made of balse wood and it had a tiny airplane motor.

They even sell those flying lawn mowers

heres the link if you wana by one.

**broken link removed**

That is not the only crazy thing they have

jrz126 said:
Does that 20kV ingnition work pretty reliably? Thats the one thing I hated about the combustion type potato guns, seemed like I was always playing with the igniter to get it to work right.

it works damn nice, the fuel mixture isn't as important as using a barbecue igniter setup, it can ignite alomost anything flamable.

I fitted on one of those missile style switches onto it, so now it really looks authentic and deadly. Great for shooting kerosene soaked tennisballs on new years day!! (into a river of course!!, you dont want to burn down someones house would you?? :lol:

*That flying lawnmower is crazy!! :shock:

One of the videos shows the lawnmower being made with a curved aerofoil shape on top, and a flat bottom, made from lightweight styrofoam.
The video of it flying shows extra small wheels. Obviously the large wheels are fake, probably also of styrofoam.

Its smokey engine has a lot of power to move the beast and its control surfaces (rudder, elevator and ailerons) control it very well.

If my neighbour used one to mow his lawn then I would need a hard hat to go outside. :lol:

I am still playing with the styrofoam electric-motor powered model airplane I built. I use sequenced (a CD4017) timers (a Cmos 555) to control its motor speed with PWM. I don't have its timers set correctly yet, 'cause it takes-off fine then climbs straight up like a rocket, stalls then dives into the ground. :cry:

Attachments

• airplane_funnypark_02.jpg
    airplane_funnypark_02.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 436
Not nessecerily crazy, but certainly not normal :lol:

A Lego crossbow, fully working of course, and incredibly accurate (good for knocking down Lego people a few metres away)

I'll get more photos of it, this is the only one I have now because our computer messed up and we had to format. I still have this one because it was already on the net and I retrieved it. Thing I like about this is how quickly it loads, with authentic locking sound. Just pull back on the sliding bit :lol: .

Other crazy projects? Hmm, that cannon thing. It used a battery operated lawnmowers motor and battery to spin a 4kg wheel very fast. Objects were then passed under the wheel along a plumbing pipe to be accelorated to carzy speeds. Totally rapid fire, unloaded a litre of dried peas in 2 seconds :lol: , many fired simultaneously. Dismantled now, but I kept the engine etc, so who knows what may become...

Theres also (or was) that other lego thing that used compressed air to fire a micro projectile at 100mph or so. I kind of accidently broke it trying to make it better, but I will rebuild :roll:

Attachments

• lego_crossbow.jpg
    lego_crossbow.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 445
Yeah, I bet :D , I won't be selling mine ever, its just far too cool 8)

I did rebuild the air thing earlier, had some bits still in tact so didn't take long. Its a shorter barrell, but it actually works better now (less joins to slow it down mabye, now only 2 ink tubes). I've also incorperated a dual valve switching system, to increase the amount of air able to flow to the barrell (think of it as putting 2 mosfets in parrallel to reduce resistance :lol: )

The highest speed achieved in tests so far is 74metres/second, though it generally tends to be more around the 50 mark. It still does its party trick of going through a sheet of paper balanced on edge without knocking it down :lol:

Never did quite finish it because my paintball gun broke, but I was working on making a paintball gun shoot airsoft pellets. For a while it did work, but because everything I used on it was just stuff I picked up from a regular ol' hardware store, it wasn't exactly a precision instrument, so it would work for a while and then jam, or spit out 3 bb's instead of one.

Now that I have more experience in it, I think I'm going to make a BB gun out of a paintball gun :lol:

I'd take some pics because it looked really cool, but its all in parts now.

Dr.EM said:
Firing those little 4mm BBs from a paintball gun?! Thats definately crazy :lol: , probably also leathal :shock:

Yeah, the bloody things would go right through two layers of cardboard :lol:

I would have to waaay reduce the power in order to play with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back