Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should neutral be switched as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I recently bought a 6 way extension lead that has a remote switch. I found that it has two relays inside, so that it switches both live and neutral.

Is that the right way of doing things?

It's certainly 'nicer' to switch both - although there's no actual requirement to do so - and switched sockets only switch the live.

Funnily enough there were a number of 'recentish' CRT TV's that only switched the neutral.

I was thinking that a failed relay could result in a load that is live but not working. However, any live switched device that gets plugged into a supply that's got swapped live and neutral will do the same.

I certainly don't know the relative likelyhoods of those two scenarios to know which is safer overall.

I was thinking that a failed relay could result in a load that is live but not working. However, any live switched device that gets plugged into a supply that's got swapped live and neutral will do the same.

I certainly don't know the relative likelyhoods of those two scenarios to know which is safer overall.

I don't think it really makes any great difference - though personally I would consider switching BOTH the safest.

I think within the US, switching the neutral is prohibited in building wiring. What you do inside a piece of euipment is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back