Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I bother with basic stamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right even worse the 16C57. Talk about some well written bit O code though... They had to get it right as there is no way to fix it later.

blueroomelectronics said:
You're right even worse the 16C57. Talk about some well written bit O code though... They had to get it right as there is no way to fix it later.

Not really, development in those days used a 16C57JW, which were UV eraseable (and VERY expensive) - once you've got the final code done, you then blow OTP versions for sale.

I wasn't worried about what language to program in. Its been so long since I wrote any basic code, or Vb for that matter, that I'll have learn any language I use. I was just curious from a beginners perspective for learning the ins and outs so to speak.

Buy the way just got confirmation from ebay that my junebug was shipped.:D

Well, the Basic Stamp is/was a good tool for the right job, for example you are building a robot. You don't want to learn about the internals of a microcontroller, or electronics even, when your hobby/goal is a servo controller or something.
You just need that black box controller.
I wouldn't use one ( unless I had to ), the price is too high, when I can rather more efficiently hack up something with my own uC. The newer BS stamps (>BSII) dont use the 20Mhz/5 Mips 16C series running at whatever the BS onboard clocking ( something around 16Mhz IIRC) , but the SX series which for 50MHZ will give you 50Mips. I don't know the actually clocking/ basic lines/sec though.

If you want the ease of BASIC and speed of a compiler I've used the free SE edition of Swordfish on my robot kit (PIC18F2525). Excellent compiler all around and far far better than any BASIC Stamp.

Not worried about ease of basic. I really want to learn C.

But I did just leave positive feedback about the junebug I just received. I will play with it tonite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back