Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Short USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I need to make a short USB cable--only about 8 inches long. Can I use unshielded cable? I need to use waterproof connectors and the normal waterproof USB connectors are much too large for this application. I would like to use a small simple connector with a cable that has a polyurathane jacket. There is no AC or other interference nearby.

Thanks,
Dale

if unshielded cable is all you've got, then by all means use it :)

what I'd do is just go to the dollar store and buy a 6ft usb cable (which is really cheap wire, but it is shielded) and use it to make my new cable. you can even leave one of the ends on to save yourself some soldering.

as far as waterproof - do you mean this cable will be submerged, underwater, for 8 inches? or does it just need to withstand rain and stuff getting on it from time to time?

you can get dielectric grease at any hardware store (in the electric isle) - pack the regular connectors with grease, then mate them. for extra protection, use some self vulcanizing tape, it seals itself together into a solid mass (also in the electric isle)

JustDIY,
Thanks. This is for a small industrial computer in a very rugged environment (indoor/outdoor, washdown, mud, cattle manure & urine, hydraulic fluid, etc.). Most all the cables I use have PUR jackets to withstand heat, cold, sunlight, abrasion, etc. Cheap cables will not survive very long. This particular cable is to attach a small rugged keyboard.
Thanks,
Dale

DSGarcia said:
JustDIY,
Thanks. This is for a small industrial computer in a very rugged environment (indoor/outdoor, washdown, mud, cattle manure & urine, hydraulic fluid, etc.). Most all the cables I use have PUR jackets to withstand heat, cold, sunlight, abrasion, etc. Cheap cables will not survive very long. This particular cable is to attach a small rugged keyboard.
Thanks,
Dale

Hi Dale,
I have found that Neoprene sleeve is ideal for marine envionment, perhaps you could sleeve overall your signal cable.

**broken link removed**

What sort of IP rating do you require?

Will this be washed with high pressure jets or just wiped down?

Eric, I purchase my cables pre-made from Brad Harrison (division of Woodhead/Molex) with the connectors molded onto the cable and so I would like to keep with their stock parts. It's just too much work to build cables myself. Even though the computer uses a 5x7x3 inch box, there are about a dozen connectors just for the computer connections. External digital I/O is handled separately using IP67 rated Ethernet I/O blocks.

Hero999, I generally like to stick with IP66/67/68 because there are high pressure hoses (like fire hoses) used for washdown at some installations. I will use IP65 rated parts when there is nothing better (they don't normally directly spray the equipment). Cables also have to be protected from weather including rain, ice, snow, blowing sand/dust, etc.

Thanks,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back