Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

short time, single electric signal measurement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexou

what will be the best mean to detect very short single electric pulse ?
signal caracteristic are
- amplitude of around 10-100 meV
- time length ranging from 10fs to 1 ns.
- no periodic signal

What about the ultimate oscilloscope performance ? do i have a chance doing that ? may i differentiate 10 and 50 fs time lenght ?
or should i go to electo-optic detection..............
thanks in advances !!!!!!!!

Ten femtoseconds corresponds to devices that operate in the terahertz frequency range. These are very exotic. There are no oscilloscopes that operate in this range.

mev stands for million electron-volts. It is a measure of energy, not voltage.

oops, sorry i wrote too fast, the signal we have and we want to differentiate have certainly pulse length comprised between 10ps (not femtosecond) to 1ns.
just want to know if one has already use a oscilloscope with high frenquency range (20 Ghz or more) and if they can at least constrain a upper limit for the pulse duration (and thus, which limit can be expected with an oscilloscope ?).
Actually we know (measure) the pulse is below 20 ns and we believe (calculation) it should be in the 10ps scale. If an existing oscilloscope can provide info like "the pulse is below 100 ps", we are interrested to know that.
maybe i should ak directly to guy from tektronix or other, but if someone know here, let me know.
if you know also some company which my rent such equipement for few weeks, let us know.
thanks to you all.
:)

i might be afraid that usualy :
meV is for milli electron volt, MeV is for the Mega electron volt.
sure this is energy, sorry, i had written my initial post a bit too fast....but the conversion between eV (energy) and voltage (V) is pretty obious for electron...........

oscilloscope with high frenquency range (20 Ghz or more) ...maybe i should ak directly to guy from tektronix

Yes, talk to somebody at Tektronix. They might have a 20 ghz scope, but I think their fastest is more like 8 ghz, and to operate that you are working with fixtures and plumbing instead of scope probes.

We could help you more with this if you tell us what you are trying to do.

i might be afraid that usualy :
meV is for milli electron volt, MeV is for the Mega electron volt.
sure this is energy, sorry, i had written my initial post a bit too fast....but the conversion between eV (energy) and voltage (V) is pretty obious for electron...........
Okay, so it's milli not mega.

But there is a difference between energy and voltage, and you can't convert eV to volts with the information you provided. 1 mev is not necessarily 1mv. It's similar to saying the signal energy is 1 Joule. To convert energy to voltage you need
1. The number of electrons
2. The impedance of the circuit.
3. The exact pulse width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back