Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

short crystal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtommer

I have read the app note of Microchip crystal selection and would like to verify some stuff cuz what I have been told is otherwise from what I have read.

1) most 4 MHz crystals that we use for PICs are based on the Pierce architecture?

2) People tell me caps used with crystals are for filtering noise.
However, I read that the caps are for providing the required phase shift so that a 360 phase shift is obtained. Apart from that it is also for coupling the signals to the amplifier network.

Can the pros please confirm that what I've read is true:)

The crystal-capacitor network used with the internal CMOS inverter inside a PIC is indeed a Pierce (special subset of Collpitts) oscillator. The capacitors are required to create a 2 port feedback network which exhibits a 180 degree phase shift at the parallel-resonance of the crystal. They are NOT there for filtering noise. That was written by some NOOB that doesn't have a clue!

hi,
A short pdf, supplementary to the info that Mike has posted.

Attachments

• 2001SEP06_AMD_AN[1].pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back