Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Short circuit dostroyed my line in? (Macbook pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortenph

Hello everyone

I cant get my line in to work on my Macbook pro even though I seem to have tryied every configuration on the mac and after that, even tried an extra application simply called "Linein".

The microphone from my headset works fine with my external USB-sound card, but does not work directly in the mini jack line in.

I have a feeling that I might have wrecked the line in my self when short circuiting "line out" and "line in". I split the headphone signal and put the one in the "line in" in an attempt to make a mix of speech and computersound.

Does this sound plausible?

What can I do to fix it?

Thank you very much in advance for anything that might help me fix this.

If the PC input really is at line level (typically a few hundred mV), and isn't simply labelled 'mic', then a headset mic signal (typically a few mV) won't be a high enough level and will need a pre-amp.

Thank you for you answer Alec_t
It seems like you know what you are talking about, but I have waited to reply i hope of a better answer (an answer that would help me fix it ;)

I don't know if the mini-jack microphone "in" is a line - there is only an icon beside that looks like a circle with two small stuffed triangles. You can see it on the link below.
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/382/64867272uy1.jpg/

Anyone has an idea wehter it could be caused by a short circuit og wether another problem might have occured or wether theres might be a way to fix this?

I doubt that shorting the input would cause damage. Most audio devices use a series coupling capacitor which would make damage unlikely.
Have you followed the set-up procedure described in this link?
**broken link removed**

Thank you again for your reply Alec

I have previously tried the settings that the guide refers to (and just now, I have tried the guide step by step).
The settings seems simple enough - just dosen't do the trick.

When I plug a jack in to the microphone "in", I can briefly se a slight mark on the "volume meter", where I would usually see a response on when a healthy signal is received. This tells me that there is some kind of connection.

I'm really looking forward to the solution to this (every) problem ;)

Have you had success with any other mic/audio source plugged into that input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back