Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shop Vac 700e Motor Shaft & Fan Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalexop

Hi folks,

My Shop Vac bearings began to squeal lately.
I decided to take it apart and grease them.

The Repair certainly seem to go well, I hand cranked the electric motor prior to the fix with the noise, and then it was quiet after the lubrication.

I made note of all parts as I removed them and kept components together.

When I put the Fan assembly back together, I noticed that it did not tighten down on the motor shaft.
The only explanation I can think of is that there was a sleeve on the shaft that held the fan assembly off of the plastic housing that the Motor is attached to.

Has anyone taken apart their Shop Vac ?
Did you notice an additional bearing or sleeve on the motor shaft used to keep the fan suspended ?

Thanks
Derek

I really should have taken pictures during the tear down process.
:(

Last edited:
I really should have taken pictures during the tear down process.
:(
Yes always.
Or you can take pictures of what you now have to deal with and show us.

Are you referring to the input impeller that creates the suction or the cooling fan at the rear end.

I tore one apart years ago, with a similar squeal problem. Not sure about the model, but don't recall much trouble putting it back together. Was disappointed that the squeal returned a few months later, so just bought a new one, rather than tear it apart again. I think the bearings needed replaced, rather than lubed.

The squeal means the bearings are "bad". Lubrication may float the bearing/shaft for a short time, but it's really too late.

Ken

Interestingly ....
:)

I performed a floor search and found the sleeve !!

Yes, this was the impeller assembly that creates the suction.

I put the sleeve on, which provides the force necessary to tighten the nut.

I used special "bearing" grease that I had left over from my job fixing photocopiers for Xerox.
Those old machines used to have polished shafts running on brass bearings. When the bearing started to squeal, we applied this grease.

I am hopeful that this should work, mind you, this is not a long term solution for worn bearings.
:)
It should though keep things quiet until the grease dries out.

Have a good one,
Derek

I performed a floor search and found the sleeve !!
Derek

Nicely done! I bet you had a big smile on your face when you found that puppy.

These vac bearings run fast and hot and as stated and as you know, squealing bearings are bearings gone bad. The balls/races are worn, pitted and burned. Your repacking will knock back the noise for a while but will most probably come back to haunt ya.

I will always change them out now in lieu of repacking cause success is hard to get with a shop vac or vacuum of any kind. A couple 608's or similar are only a few bucks each. The problem is getter the right puller/seperator as they tend to be pressed close to the windings and commutators. The worst thing for these guys are drywall dust and can kill the bearings after only a very short period..

Thanks for the follow up.

cheers

I have Shop-Vac model 700E and I just finished tightening the nut holding the impeller to the motor. There's a big washer, then comes the impeller, then another big washer and finally the nut. I used a socket wrench to tighten the nut, but first I had to keep the motor shaft from turning. I carefully removed the plastic piece and the motor bracket from the opposite end. It's held on with two torx screws. This exposed the other end of the motor shaft. Then I found my 3/8" drill and put some rubber bands around the chuck to get a good grip. I tightened the chuck around the motor shaft using the key. To help keep the chuck from coming loose I did not remove the key. Now, with one hand on the socket wrench and one hand on the chuck, I tightened the bolt holding the impeller to the motor. DISCLAIMER: I will not accept responsibility if you get hurt. I was a math major and don't have experience like a handyman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back