Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shoot a golf ball 4m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before computers, women used adding machines to compute shell (projectile) trajectories. It took them a week for each trajectory with mechanical adding machines, so the army was motivated to find a better way.

Assuming you launch at a 45° angle for maximum range.
You want 4m range (= 13.1').
I was too lazy to solve the resulting quadratic equation so I cut and tried on a spreadsheet to solve this thing.
Roughly, you need a muzzle velocity 20'/sec to go downrange 12.7'.

Your ball mass, in slugs, is .003.
V = aT, so for 20'/sec and you take 0.1 second to accelerate this ball, you need an acceleration of 200 ft/sec².
F=mA, and m = .003 so you need an F of .003(200) = 0.6 pound.

This is more difficult than I thought, and I am lazier than I was in 1962.

Try these guys
Eng-Tips Forums

Last edited:
you could buy an old car for a few dollars at your local flea market/jumble sale/boot sale/yard sale an take them off that

Nope, you will forever be famous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back