Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shock knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam-47

would like some help on building a shock knife need a schematic and part layout and list to build a shock knife where the simulated blade will give you a shock instead of cutting you ,need to build for martial arts disarming training, circuit board would mount in handle. use copper metal to simulate blade edge thanks for any help someone could give me

Leftyretro said:
Or a short cattle prod

Hey a taser should work, just paint it like a knife ;)

Ow. My sister and I used to chase each other around with the cattle prods back on the farm. Many healthy zaps from those things (nothing like the fencer though). *sigh*---the good ol' days.

Shortest one we had was about a foot long; longest one was maybe 3 feet long.

When I was studying ju-jutsu (Hokutoryu, in Hämeenlinna, Finland) we just used rubber knives and bo sticks. I had to move back to Canada and turn my life upside down again though so I never even made it to my orange belt; ergo, I have no idea what the higher classes used to train with (but I never saw a shock knife).

Anyway, to try to inject a little on-topicness into my post:

Maybe Nigel has a suggestion? Don't know if it would involve a shock knife though.

What is the spec for what the knife should accomplish? I mean, it's probably going to need to have an effect upon contact with any part of the blade, right? Will you be practicing with or without your gis? I'm pretty sure our farm shock prods wouldn't have much effect through my gi unless it was really (REALLY) sweaty; it's pretty heavy cotton.

Hm. Another idea from the farm. If the point is just to be able to tell whether the "blade" scored a hit, could you maybe stick a narrow stiff tube on a hilt, wrap it in some fuzzy material (say, thick felt) and cover that thoroughly with coloured chalk powder? That should show up pretty well (I'm assuming you're wearing white). A limitation would be that you might get too few hits before needing to reapply the chalk.

Otherwise, maybe actually take apart a cattle prod (or a bug zapper racquet, as someone else mentioned). You could perhaps put the batteries into a belt pack if they are too big. Put the circuit into the handle of the knife if it fits, then take a rubber knife blade and wrap a pair of electrode wires up the blade, making sure they never touch or overlap. If they are thick enough gauge, I would try carefully melting them partway into the rubber so they don't slip. They'd have to stick up enough to make solid contact of course.

I myself wouldn't try making the zapper circuit from scratch for general use; I would feel much better cannibalizing something known to be relatively safe. That said, I don't actually know exactly how dangerous bug-zappers can be.

Torben

Well. There are a number of issues that jump out at me:
1 - To deliver a shock sufficient enough to feel it, you're going to need a considerable amount of power. You probably can't feel the jolt from three or four 9v batteries wired in series, but it might be worth a try. Not to mention that if you stack said batteries, (with discrete series wiring) tape them together with a fabric backed tape and you have the handle. (Again, just an idea...)
2 - delivery........I'm toying with the idea of a small capacitively stored charge that will discharge on contact. you'll have to do some experimentation with this approach--
[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+[__]+-[__]+-[__]+-[__]+

hi,
Isnt there a device already available used in foil fencing training and match events.?
IIRC both combatants wear a thin conductive over vest and a lead connected to the foil handle.

hiTorben,
If the applied voltage to vest/foil was EHT it might bring back memories of the good Ol' days of cattle prods!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi,
Isnt there a device already available used in foil fencing training and match events.?
IIRC both combatants wear a thin conductive over vest and a lead connected to the foil handle.

hiTorben,
If the applied voltage to vest/foil was EHT it might bring back memories of the good Ol' days of cattle prods!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that you could buy a prebuilt scoring device for this. I don't think they usually deliver shocks though. :) I've seen the fencing devices but not something for close combat. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

We Canucks are a bit leery of shock weapons these days.

Torben

Torben said:
Maybe Nigel has a suggestion? Don't know if it would involve a shock knife though.

We use wooden knifes, and rub chalk on the edge of the blade - usually blue or green as it shows up well on both white and black gi's.

Buy a Mini Talon tazer and gut it. It's a very small simple circuit powered by a 9V battery that will definitely get your attention. Just replace the electrodes and build the electronics into whatever enclosure/knife handle you want. They are $20 online and a lot cheaper than making your own.

Nigel Goodwin said:
We use wooden knifes, and rub chalk on the edge of the blade - usually blue or green as it shows up well on both white and black gi's.
That's a good idea, I've just taken up Ju Jitsu and I'll suggest that to the instructor the next time I train. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Hero999 said:
That's a good idea, I've just taken up Ju Jitsu and I'll suggest that to the instructor the next time I train. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

As far as I'm aware it's fairly standard practice? - as you say, simple is often the best.

Is it?

Anyway I'd suggest red chalk as it's more of a bloody colour. :D

I was thinking of using a mini inverter transformer (they are about 1cm Cubed) so that it would be ultra compact, and it could be powered by only 2 AA batteries (around 3V). Then you could make the circuit and wrap it up in duct tape. As for the terminals, I would make the 2 terminals come to a close point at the termination end.

Goldmine elec. has the tiny inverter transformer like I was talking about:
https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13599

It comes with a schematic to drive it for a Tube, but you could probably just tie the secondaries directly to the 2 shock terminals.

:)

Good luck

experts! isnt there anyway that we can avoid the continous power loss of the battery? conduction should start as the blade touches the body, not before.

Switched or not, how is it supposed to give you a shock? - you need contact from two electrodes to two points on the body, like a stun gun. The gi you're wearing would insulate you as well, so you would need pointy spikes to penetrate the gi - a shock would be pointless, as you're going to shread your opponents body! :D

Either that or you'd need a pretty high voltage, 25kV might be enough and keeping a capacitor charged at that voltage is going to take a considerable amount of power. The whole idea is flawed from the start, then there's the question of safety, the whole point of using wooden knives is to avoid injury, the worst you're going to get is a nasty bruise, once you start adding electricity in to the equation you don't know what will happen, if someone's tired it might be enough to kill them.

A camera flash circuit? They are low power and will make you wake up pretty quick. Plus they are easy to modifiy.

They only output 200V to 300V - not enough to penetrate a gi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back