Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shock Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsg21

Hello,

I am working on a mini project, 'shock Book'. Its a small pocket diary-like book. I want to use a capacitor, so when the book is closed the capacitor charges and when the book is opened the capacitor dicharges, i.e. the person gets a shock. I don't ant the person to suffer..lol. Just a little shock when he.she opens the book. Could someone help me with the design.

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

I am working on a mini project, 'shock Book'. Its a small pocket diary-like book. I want to use a capacitor, so when the book is closed the capacitor charges and when the book is opened the capacitor dicharges, i.e. the person gets a shock. I don't ant the person to suffer..lol. Just a little shock when he.she opens the book. Could someone help me with the design.

Thanks for your help!
give us your circuit diagram ? :)

Last edited:
Years ago, the old Popular Electronics magazine did an article on something similar. They had a small wooden box with an outlet on it and labeled High Voltage. The sides had small foil plates and the inside had I believe a small 9 volt battery using a 555 as an oscillator driving a transformer. One of those it lights a NE2 bulb designs. Activation was done using a tilt switch (mercury switch). The idea being people would pick the thing up out of curiosity and when it was tilted they got a small shock.

Find a neon bulb driver circuit using a 555 and work with that. That would be my suggestion. Just make sure someone with a weak heart doesn't pick up the book and it spooks them into a coronary. :)

Ron

Last edited:
Try something like the attached drawing. Slightly modified version of what I mentioned. Designed to have a neon lamp at the output. T1 is just a small 8 Ohm to 1 K Ohm audio matching transformer. They can be had about anywhere. R1 can be reduced "slightly" for higher output voltage. I would not go below 39 K Ohms. The 555 is an oscillator driving T1 to produce a high voltage on the T1 secondary. It should work as drawn. You will need to place your switch inline with your 9 volt supply. Anyway, this is about what I was getting at in my previous post.

Ron

Attachments

• 555 Shocker.gif
    555 Shocker.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,522
Did you not like my suggestion or circuit? Boo Hoo, me cry. :(

Ron

The circuit above does not work because your body does not react to DC. Even though spikes are produced, the pulses of 80v - 100v are not felt. The diode and resistor have not effect whatsoever.
If the output is AC you will jump with a voltage as low as 60v - 80v.

Last edited:
As I pointed out, the posted circuit was originally for a small NE2 bulb and thus the resistor and the diode, not that a NE2 bulb needs a diode. As to the whole DC thing? Remove the diode and resistor but I would still venture you would feel the DC.

The circuit above does not work because your body does not react to DC.

Possibly your body is immune to DC shock but most people I know can feel DC as well as many people having died from DC Electrocution.

Ron

Last edited:
Simply try the circuit and see that IT DOES NOT WORK.

And why won't it work or should I just take your word for it. 80 to 100 VDC will give a shock just as easily as 80 to 100 VAC will. The 555 is outputting out a square wave with a PRF of about 150 Hz to the transformer. So why won't the circuit work? The circuit will work just fine.

Ron

Last edited:
The circuit above does not work because your body does not react to DC. Even though spikes are produced, the pulses of 80v - 100v are not felt. The diode and resistor have not effect whatsoever.
If the output is AC you will jump with a voltage as low as 60v - 80v.

You should tell the telephone line that. I remember when I was maybe 12, I often stripped wires in between my teeth, not being able to afford quality tools. One day I wasn't thinking and I tried to strip both wires of the same live telephone line at the same time, lol. The phone line here in the U.S. carries about 50 volts and that sucked. Besides that, I can't even tell you the number of times I have been shocked by the primary capacitor in an SMPS (laziness gets me every time). So yeah, personal experience tells me that you most certainly can feel a DC shock.

80 to 100 VDC will give a shock just as easily as 80 to 100 VAC will
Before you put something on the forum, just try it. I have been designing pulsing circuits using probes and patches and "electrodes" that people put on to reduce the effects of back-ache etc, for the past 25 years.
The AC voltage is between 35v and 65v. And you can feel the pulses.
At 85v you cannot hold your fingers on the electrodes.
Try your circuit. It has absolutely no effect what-so-ever.
You have provided something that you have never tried and know absolutely nothing about electric shocks and the effect of sensing an AC voltage and DC voltage.
If the OP had received a 50v AC in his mouth, he would have jumped across the room.

On the other hand ironically. You can not feel high frequency AC.

That's the reason you cannot feel DC to the same extent as low frequency AC.

Last edited:
OK colin55 I tried it. I tried it about 28 years ago when Forrest M. Mims published the design to ionize a NE2 bulb and I tried it again finally today. I got a shock. Plain dry fingers and nothing fancy and I got a shock. Additionally I lit a neon NE2 bulb mch as it did 28 years ago.

There was a minor caveat. There is a .1 uF cap across the transformer output. I did try a few small transformers I had lying around with mixed shock results. I finally went to a local Radio Shack store this morning and bought a part number 273-1380 and interesting enough the part number hasn't changed in 28 years or so. Using that circuit it produces a mild shock. It produces at least 80 volts or so to ionize a NE2 bulb and produced a mild electric shock which is what I believe was the goal of the original poster.

OK here is where you say:

I have been designing pulsing circuits using probes and patches and "electrodes" that people put on to reduce the effects of back-ache etc, for the past 25 years.
The AC voltage is between 35v and 65v. And you can feel the pulses.
At 85v you cannot hold your fingers on the electrodes.

Now I believe the gas in a NE2 bulb ionizes at about 80 volts.

What you have been designing for 25 years is snake oil. OK, just kidding. What you have been designing and working with for 25 years is TENS devices I assume? They have a few names but I call them TENS devices. Now forgive me if I screw this up but (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)? Actually pretty cool little devices and following a few shoulder surgeries my new best friend.

My knowledge of these is limited but I figure (and I may be wrong) they come in a few flavors. They can have a high frequency >50 Hz with an intensity below motor contraction (sensory intensity) or a low frequency <10 Hz that produces motor contraction. My personal experiences was the latter of the two with pulses about maybe .5 Hz I would guess based on how it felt. The therapy did work and it worked well using a shock to stimulate muscle reaction and it certainly could be felt.

I guess what annoyed me is that you jumped right into the thread and said the circuit I posted wouldn't work. You never added to the thread with a circuit that would work. You added nothing at all. You never stated why it wouldn't work but rather went into 25 years of TENS experience. That doesn't cover why it won't work does it?

Now had I been you I would have sent me a simple PM and said Hey Ron, I think you missed it on this one. I don't think your circuit will work and here is why. This may have led to my thinking about it and possibly revising a post. If you look at my post history I have no problem with egg on my face and correcting my wrongs (everyone has a few bads). However, you seem to choose to slam dunk my suggestion, not bother to suggest a circuit and let it go at that. That was really a pretty crappy way to go about it.

Just My Take...
Ron

Here is a circuit that will work:

ZAPPER - 160v
This project will give you a REAL SHOCK. It produces up to 160v and outputs this voltage for a very short period of time.
The components are taken from an old CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamp) as the transistors are high voltage types and the 1u5 electro @400v can also be taken from the CFL as well as the ferrite core for the transformer.
The CFL has a 1.5mH choke with a DC resistance of 4 ohms. This resistance is too low for our circuit and the wire is removed and the core rewound with 50 turns for the feedback winding and 300 turns of 0.1mm wire to produce a winding with a resistance of about 10 ohms for the primary.
The oscillator is "flyback" design that produces spikes of about 160v and these are fed to a high-speed diode (two 1N4148 diodes in series) to charge a 1u5 electrolytic to about 160v. If you put your fingers across the electrolytic you will hardly feel the voltage. You might get a very tiny tingle at the end of your fingers.
But if this voltage is delivered, then turned off, you get an enormous shock and you pull yours fingers off the touch pads.
That's what the other part of the circuit does. It turns on a high-voltage transistor for a very short period of time and this is what makes the circuit so effective.

**broken link removed**

Nice circuit that will really have someone let go quick! Yeah, if I wanted a shock book or shock anything that would be an excellent choice. Better than my suggestion.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back