Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shift registers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I just bought about 360 universal shift registers from ebay, (74hct299e, manufactured by RCA. they look alittle old but they still work.) Anyways, I'm looking for some way to use a bunch of these in one project. maybe like a small calculator or something.

I like doing projects that use a lot of something, like one night I was bored so I built a dohdecahedron (12 sided sphere) and put a small computer speaker on each face, So I just have a ball of speakers.
(you can see it in the link in my signiture, it's on page 8)

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: the 8) should be an 8, if you put an 8 right next to a ) it makes the 8)

Want the Datasheet?

Attachments

• 74hc_hct299_cnv_2.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 74hct299__ti.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 209
These IC's were manufactured by RCA, and I cant seem to find RCA's datasheet for them. Is there a big difference between manufacturers?

Same Thing All the same part. I will try to find an RCA Datasheet.

jrz126 said:
I just bought about 360 universal shift registers from ebay, (74hct299e, manufactured by RCA. they look alittle old but they still work.) Anyways, I'm looking for some way to use a bunch of these in one project. maybe like a small calculator or something.

I like doing projects that use a lot of something, like one night I was bored so I built a dohdecahedron (12 sided sphere) and put a small computer speaker on each face, So I just have a ball of speakers.
(you can see it in the link in my signiture, it's on page 8)

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: the 8) should be an 8, if you put an 8 right next to a ) it makes the 8)

Here is a simple idea to use with these things..

Take lots (maybe all?) of them and cascade them. Put a resistor and LED on each output of each device. You can then input 1 bit and walk it all the way along the chain.. You can put in multiple bits and walk them at different rates.. You can effectively have a Marquis display.

Just use the shift left or right to walk the bits in that direction.

line the perimeters of your 3D speaker ball with all the LED's..

hotwaterwizard said:
hotwaterwizard said:
How about a moving sign.

I already suggested that.

:D

how hard would it be to try to make a simple ocsilloscope using the SR's LED's? would I just need an A/d converter?
or what about a graphic equalizer. It wouldnt need to have the equalizer, but the graphic part would be cool. I'd put it right up front in the center console, replacing the LCD screen maybe.
It'll have to wait until i finish replacing the led's in the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back