Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shift register question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stef_eng

Hi,

I'm designing a LFSR (8bit) (linear feedback shift reg.) with xnor feedback. There are 2 topologies: one-to-many(internal) and many to one(external). I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the pros and cons of the two topologies?

For instance, I know that the one-to-many topology when compared to the many-to-one would reduce the propogation delay through xnor gates...but is there also a disadvantage to the internal LFSR topology?

Hi,

I'm designing a LFSR (8bit) (linear feedback shift reg.) with xnor feedback. There are 2 topologies: one-to-many(internal) and many to one(external). I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the pros and cons of the two topologies?

For instance, I know that the one-to-many topology when compared to the many-to-one would reduce the propogation delay through xnor gates...but is there also a disadvantage to the internal LFSR topology?
Many-to-one is called a Fibonacci LFSR. One-to-many is called Galois. I used to know that, but had forgotten until I looked at the Wikipedia article on LFSRs.
The prop delay advantage you mentioned is the only one I can think of, although it has been 40+ years since I worked with them, so what the heck do I know?:D
I preferred Fibonacci at the time, but danged if I can remember why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back