Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shaft rotation sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Rotor

Hello
Help needed with circuit design for sensing slow shaft rotation, having two separate outputs. ON for either clockwise or counter clockwise rotation. OFF when shaft stationary.

Specification
Range of rotation: 180 degrees
Operating voltage: 12 vdc
Switched output: 12 vdc @ 1A
Shaft can have potentiometer / sensor at one end only

Any help appreciated.

PHILIP ROTOR

Philip,

I'm assuming that you can't monitor the power that drives the motor (?) that turns the shaft. What's the speed of rotation? Is the speed fixed or variable?

Ken

What about a segmented disk sensor? Two bands minimum if you need to tell direction. If you need more resolution than can be achieved by minimum segment size, add another band offset by a half segment. You read the thing with a photo detector for each band and light source.

Hi Ken

I 'm sensing the rotation of a steering box output shaft, so rotation speed is variable and very slow.
This is a project I 've started to consider adding assistted steering to a classic car.

Many thanks for your interest.

Philip

How much of a change in angle of rotation do you need to sense for detecting motion? It's looking like a high resolution quadrature encoder, as Gary alluded to, would be the solution.

Ken

Actually, you wouldn't need a quadrature output, since direction isn't of concern. Just an optical interrupter with a 90 line/180° disk, followed by a retriggerable monostable multivibrator. Or, a 45 line disk followed be an edge-detector, and then a retriggerable monostable.

Ken

Last edited:
Magnetize the shaft and use hall sensors. The actual magnetization in the appropriate pattern would be the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back