Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shaded pole motors can be controlled with a phase controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
I tried to post this in the theory section but it didn't allow me to do it.

Recently I've read up on shaded pole motors because no one at college taught be how they work.

Wikipedia and many other sources state that they can speed controlled using a standard phase controller used to dim a light bulb.

Shaded-pole motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then I remembered a few threads about people wanting to control the speed of their aquarium tank pump. Is it possible that these pumps use a shaded pole motor and can therefore be controlled using a lamp dimmer?

Obviously it's a bit late but I'd like to know in case someone asks the question in future.

They definitely use a shaded pole motors. I am sure you have to change the frequency to control speed..?

Did you read this link to Wikipedia?

These motors have only one winding, no capacitor nor starting switch, making them economical and reliable. Because their starting torque is low they are best suited to driving fans or other loads that are easily started. Moreover, they are compatible with TRIAC-based variable-speed controls, which often are used with fans. They are built in power sizes up to about 1/6 hp or 125 watts output. For larger motors, other designs offer better characteristics.

Unfortunately I can't find the other article.

I do believe Wikipedia because I used to have a desk fan in my office with a speed control pot. and I doubt a cheap fan would use an expensive VFD.

The basic shaded pole motors can be phase angle speed controlled but its more of a torque control effect that you are getting.
At no load they will tend to run at near their normal speed but when loaded down that where the limited torque gives it lower speed.

It basically just dropping the voltage so that the motor is limited to how much power it can produce. With a properly sized power factor control capacitor in parallel to the motor they will usually work rather well on a standard issue light dimmer.

Thanks, I had a feeling our resident expert on motors and generators would be able to help me with my query.

Isn't there a risk that the capacitor will destroy the triac in the phase controller?

Thanks, I had a feeling our resident expert on motors and generators would be able to help me with my query.

Well since he wasn't around I thought I would try and answer your question any way. :D

The capacitor in parallel is bringing the power factor of the motor closer to neutral so that the triac can do its switching at the correct points on the sine wave. Without it most lamp dimmers are not able to handle the highly inductive load of a motor and burn out being they are designed to work only with a resistive load that has very little inductance or capacitance.

Yes, that makes sense, the capacitor and inductive motor appear to be be resistive when connected in parallel.

Then I remembered a few threads about people wanting to control the speed of their aquarium tank pump. Is it possible that these pumps use a shaded pole motor and can therefore be controlled using a lamp dimmer?

Obviously it's a bit late but I'd like to know in case someone asks the question in future.

The aquarium water pumps I have seen use synchronous motors. The armature is just a magnet and spins with the angular change of the incoming AC voltage on the field winding. Note: They do not like to operate off-frequency. ie: If designed for 60 Hz, do not work well at other frequencies. They are also finicky about voltage. Keep both Freq and Voltage within 10%. If you change either frequency or voltage, or drive with a square wave, they have trouble starting, and tend to make rattling noises as the impeller is not hard-fixed to the armature.

Fountain pumps for gardens are similar, just large aquarium pumps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back