Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setting an output frequency in 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

I want to drive a LED with a 555 timer.
I want the LED to toggle each 100ms.

How do I pick the resistor and capacitor to set a rectangle wave at a frequency of (1/200m)Hz?

Thanks.

Thank you Eric.

I'm not sure, what website can this calculator be downloaded from?

Thanks.

hi,
From that link, its the 'exe' file, just follow the notes on the Blog.
If you get a problem please let me know.

BTW: for a 50/50 cycle use AstableV2

Last edited:
Hi Eric.

Thanks again.
Would this configuration work? Having the LED toggling every 100ms.

(Vs would be 5V, and I'll connect LED + (Current limiting) Resistor to pin #3 - OUT).**broken link removed**

What is VC (Pin #5) connected to?
I assume its a capacitor, but what kind of a capacitor?

Last edited:
A calculator is no substitute for reading the **broken link removed**. The bypass cap is described there.

Hi Eric.

Thanks again.
Would this configuration work? Having the LED toggling every 100ms.

(Vs would be 5V, and I'll connect LED + (Current limiting) Resistor to pin #3 - OUT).

What is VC (Pin #5) connected to?
I assume its a capacitor, but what kind of a capacitor?

hi,
The value of Vc is 10nF thru to 100nF, in most cases the 7555 will run without it.

A calculator is no substitute for reading the **broken link removed**. The bypass cap is described there.

hi Mike,
This text is shown on my modules.
It is recommended that you download the Datasheet for the device from www.datasheetarchive.com
Ensure that your designs are within the stated operating parameters of the device.

hi,
that was a good application. Was that done by U?
i want to know where i could get those kind of applications for diff. ICs
Specifically IC4060
hi RV,
I did write that module and others using Visual Basic 5.
If you want to simulate some logic IC's there is always LTspice, I have not seen an 4060 model, but it could quickly emulated using the basic LTS models.

Last edited:
Ok, So can i simulate using LT Spice?
Is it inbuilt/ should i design the circuit?
I'm asking this because I've not experimented LT Spice.

Ok, So can i simulate using LT Spice?
Is it inbuilt/ should i design the circuit?
I'm asking this because I've not experimented LT Spice.
hi RV,
My advice would be join the Yahoo LTspice Users Group, it free and there are lots of working models available,.
HC, HCT and CD4000 series on the digital side.

There are also experienced LTS users on this Forum who can answer LTS queries from you.:)

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Also get the LTS program from the link

Last edited:
hi RV,
I did write that module and others using Visual Basic 5.
If you want to simulate some logic IC's there is always LTspice, I have not seen an 4060 model, but it could quickly emulated using the basic LTS models.

He means simulated. Drink some coffee, Eric :p

He means simulated. Drink some coffee, Eric :p
Hi D,
No, 'emulate' is the word I would use, my reasoning is that he will have to use 'other' types of logic IC's to emulate the 4060 in the LTS simulation.

QED.:p

Hope you are rested after your brief holiday..:)

EDIT:
Emulation is the imitation of an object as another object. For example, a PlayStation emulator makes PlayStation game CDs recognize a PC as the machine where they are intended to run. Another example, a man puts on fake breasts, wear woman clothing and soften his voice to emulate a woman. So, basically an emulation has a purpose to make its environment recognize an object as another object. This is why emulator needs to be complete. If, for example, the man emulating a woman fails to emulate a woman completely like urinating while standing, he will be found out not to be a woman. About emulator, you usually says: "I want to make this stuff be recognized as that stuff so that another thing that I have in mind will continue to interact with the emulated stuff in the way it interacts with the real stuff".

Last edited:
Hi D,
No, 'emulate' is the word I would use, my reasoning is that he will have to use 'other' types of logic IC's to emulate the 4060 in the LTS simulation.

QED.:p

Hope you are rested after your brief holiday..:)

Really? Why is that? What other types of logic IC's would he use? I've never simulated logic in LTspice before. Maybe I should give it a try.

Really? Why is that? What other types of logic IC's would he use? I've never simulated logic in LTspice before. Maybe I should give it a try.

hi D,
Edit added to my last post.
As far as I know LTS dosn't have a 4060 [I could be wrong] so make an oscillator I would use 4049 [ or a LTS Vgen] and few 40193 counters in series.

the man emulating a woman fails to emulate a woman completely like urinating while standing, he will be found out not to be a woman.

Now I see what I've been doing wrong! :p

Now I see what I've been doing wrong! :p

hahaha,
This is the bit I like, it sounds just like a wannabee's OP question...

"I want to make this stuff be recognized as that stuff so that another thing that I have in mind will continue to interact with the emulated stuff in the way it interacts with the real stuff".

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 639
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back