Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SET TOP BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have a digital set top box

Brand HUMAX DV3 MPEG2 DIGITAL IR-5410Z

I REQUIRE A MANUAL TO TUNE THE SET TOP BOX IN TO THE TV
WHERE COULD I OBTAIN ONE OR IS THERE SOMEONE WHO COULD TELL ME HOW TO TUNE IT IN FOR FREE TO AIR RECEPTION.

THE CONECTIONS ON THE REAR ARE
LNB IN
LNB OUT
VIDO
R,L AUDIO
RF IN
RF OUT
WHAT CONNECTIONS DO I USE AND THE LAYOUT.

Gregory said:
I have a digital set top box

Brand HUMAX DV3 MPEG2 DIGITAL IR-5410Z

I REQUIRE A MANUAL TO TUNE THE SET TOP BOX IN TO THE TV
WHERE COULD I OBTAIN ONE OR IS THERE SOMEONE WHO COULD TELL ME HOW TO TUNE IT IN FOR FREE TO AIR RECEPTION.

If you had your location filled in it might help?.

We don't have any idea where in the world you might be?.

You might also mention what satellite you're wanting to receive, and confirm your dish is correctly aligned on that satellite.

I imagine like all these types of things it will be tuned from a menu, it's usually pretty self explanatory! - there's usually an auto-search option, which will tune in all channels it can find. Or a manual option, where you need to know the transponder details, but you don't give enough information for this!.

Do you guys have free satellite TV over there?
Over here, it's pay what you watch unless you got a very common black-market illegal reciever.
Not me, I'm paying for digital cable TV. Its latest "box" records perfectly on its own hard drive. I can even "resume" to get another beer or something. I push pause then it records. When I get back and push resume, it plays what it recorded and continues recording at the same time.
It can fast-forward in 3 speeds and its instructions say that during resume, it can even fast-forward into the future! That's cool to see who will win the election, which team will win, which horse $$$$ etc. I wonder why I can't get that function to work, maybe it needs a code.

audioguru said:
Do you guys have free satellite TV over there?

Presuming you mean the UK? (as we don't know where 'Gregory is'!, or you that that matter!), there are some free channels, and some requiring a subscription. To make matters even worse there are some free channels that are encrypted (mainly due to American copyright laws), and require a card to decrypt, but no subscription.

Over here, it's pay what you watch unless you got a very common black-market illegal reciever.

The UK Sky Digital system is very secure, as far as I know there's no piracy at all.

Not me, I'm paying for digital cable TV. Its latest "box" records perfectly on its own hard drive. I can even "resume" to get another beer or something. I push pause then it records. When I get back and push resume, it plays what it recorded and continues recording at the same time.

Sky Digital sell a box called a 'Sky+', this is a similar PVR (Personal Video Recorder), it does all the pause and search tricks (I think the last update gave them more than 3 search speeds?), they even record two channels at once - although you can't watch a third one.

Impressive aren't they?.

Hi Nigel,
I'm in Canada where pirating of American satellites is a booming business. The American satellite companies can't prosecute anyone here. The Canadian satellite companies were losing a lot of business, so recently forced our government to ban selling of the pirate ones. It is still a booming business, I don't think the new law is enforced. The government even says that soon they will outlaw users (who is going to pay someone to search for the millions of pirate users and confront them?).

BTW, an American satellite company came-up with a heavily encryped system with so many bits in its code that they said it would take an army of the latest computers 100 years or more to break its code. It took a single geek about two weeks.

My PVR certainly is impressive. I recently got new glasses (tri-focal) and couldn't believe how much noise and interference that my analog cable had. A call to my cable company to find out what's new led me to this PVR. The salesman was so hungry for his commission and meeting his quota (it was near the end of this month, I should have called today) that I talked him down to only 2 bucks per month, then he sweetened the deal with a discount on my broadband internet. Of course he also wanted to sell me a cell phone deal and even offered a free camera phone that I asked about.
The PVR's digital picture, sound and recordings are absolutely perfect. I don't see the need for HDTV anytime soon.
I had to boot the thingy only once after a lightning storm, it got all confused.

Yeah, it does record 2 channels at once plus you can view something that was previously recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back