Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Byte is compiler dependent, as well as all the rest of those defines. Many 'bytes' in default compiler configurations are more than 8 bits since modern CPU's are ineventibly more than 8 bits.

I thought Byte was a contraction of By Eight and was always 8 bits. Words on the other hand can be any number of bits.

Mike.
Edit, it would appear that history disagrees with me and Byte can vary.

Last edited:
It it not always by eight, with C compilers the size of a byte is a compiler define, and on most modern architectures is not 8 bits, as that would be highly inefficient. ANSI C explicitly defines bit and byte size defines. But most other compilers do not. Most compilers will have a default bit depth for their most efficient optimization routines.

For me that's a very good explanation and I'll try to make some exercises and tests just to make sure I really understood... So for those of you that understand it very well, there are many people here that post some questions, like me, because they do not understand this kind of thing and do not have a programming experience then when you reply please put some examples... I have no problem to say I don't know and ask a question, but not all people do the same and they think they are bothering to ask again, You know what I mean... Besides there is a language barrier and not all people can express what they think or desire.

Thank very much Gramo and all I really apreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back