Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo Motors and old Stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi all,

i have a very large amount of old printers , fax Machines ,scanners and Cd-Rom drives.......so i have an idea that i can use motors from this devices for my robot projects.

but my question is :

is any of this devices work with servo motors??
and how can i differentiate between differant kinds of motors....i mean if i got a motor from any old device so how can i ensure that it's a servo motor from it's shape....that's in case this motor have no label on it.

Thanks

watzmann said:
Hi all,

i have a very large amount of old printers , fax Machines ,scanners and Cd-Rom drives.......so i have an idea that i can use motors from this devices for my robot projects.

but my question is :

is any of this devices work with servo motors??
and how can i differentiate between differant kinds of motors....i mean if i got a motor from any old device so how can i ensure that it's a servo motor from it's shape....that's in case this motor have no label on it.

None of them will have servo motors in, although a number of them may use a DC motor in a servo system (for positioning etc.), but it will be an integral part of the unit, and not a 'stand alone' servo, as for radio control.

Another thing, most of the motors in those units, are stepper motors which are not Ideal for robotics.

Hello!

Why do you say they aren't ideal for robotics? The choice of a motor depends of the use you need it for. Steppers are great for many projects that required precise movement.

about those steppers... i have a lot of those steppers from printers and copymashines, but i have neve got one moving as strong as needed... most of them cant even turn my webcam 5 degrees... and i have folowed every tutorial tryed to run it every way with 1Amp and fith 3A and with original voltage and with bigger voltage but still nothing... Are all my printers somekind of a indonesian junk? i dont think so... i tried to control it with uln2004 and with transistors and master is a pic or LPT port...

can someone tell me what i do wrong
and if anyone knows where to find good datasheets of steppers... google cant find most of them...

bloody-orc said:
about those steppers... i have a lot of those steppers from printers and copymashines, but i have neve got one moving as strong as needed... most of them cant even turn my webcam 5 degrees... and i have folowed every tutorial tryed to run it every way with 1Amp and fith 3A and with original voltage and with bigger voltage but still nothing... Are all my printers somekind of a indonesian junk? i dont think so... i tried to control it with uln2004 and with transistors and master is a pic or LPT port...

Steppers are fairly low power devices, anything you want to turn with one needs to be free moving, a webcam should be no problem, but it needs to be well balanced and easy to move.

They are also only very slow moving, if you try to step them too fast they don't move at all.

well i have ran them in one step in 1 sec and 1 step in 3 sec and 1 step ion 0.5 sec but it is always the same...

have you tried energizing two coils at the same time? that increases the torque some but makes the movement less smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back