Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo Motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

picstudent

I am totally new to servo motors.
My new task is to control a spindle rotation. part of a machinery.
Client says AC servo 1.5Kw/1500rpm is needed for the task.

I have seen and used small dc servos for robotics application where a special pulse sequence is used to control the servo.

But in this case AC servo of this much torque I have no idea about the implementation.

There seems a part called servo amplifier in these systems. I think it is the AC drive circuitry for the motor coils. right?
A servo to be digitally controlled here means we need to build that amplifier systems also? or that circuitry is a part of motor? We need to give the digital control signals to drive and take feed backs?

How is the overall implementation.
I need to have a good idea before next discussion.
Thank you
Roy

Roy,

I think you will find designing, building, and testing will cost more than an off the shelf solution. Is a motor already spec'd...other than "AC servo 1.5Kw/1500rpm"?
Try Googling: AC servo controller drive
Start looking at companies and the spec's on their systems. This should give you questions to ask in the next discussion with your customer.

Ken

variable frequency drive (VFD) are used to control the speed of AC motors, i hope you can find some model in the market that can have a feed back input, may be you can find compatible input sensors too with the same model.

in worse case you can modify an existing VFD that is having a potentiometer control (analogue) by driving a small DC servo motor fixed to the control knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back