Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

servo and LED project

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobGates

hey guys, I am brand new here so be nice (i take constructive criticism well).

I am planning on my first "real" project. I do have some knowledge of electronics, servos, and even some scripting/programming. I have done my share of taking apart toys as a kid and figuring out how they work and making new things out their electronics. Okay, so some info on my project

I am building an Iron Man Mark VI costume out of fiberglass and many people that make these add servos and LED's to make it realistic. But it seems that the most detailed builders are the ones that keep their secrets so here I am trying to build mine. (at this point I am assuming you know the iron man suit) What I want to do is make the face plate move up and down with a servo while also turning the eye LEDs on and off depending on the position. I will need LED's in the chest and hands but those do not have to do anything but turn on when the power is on and stay on. the last thing is 6 other servos to control the flight stabilizers on the back (4) and the legs (1 on each leg).

From what I have read online I THINK I can connect all LED's and servos to one chip board to send the program data and power to each... If I can connect them all to a single source then I would like to have detachable wires in the neck, arms, and legs that snap or something so I can easily put on and take off the suit. Is that possible? I'm also going to have the controls for the servos in far away places from the moving parts (possibly the hands or arms) so I'm thinking I can put the "motherboard" in the body piece and have the wire spreading out from that to all areas.

Okay one last question; if all of this is even possible, what size board/microcontroller would I need? I'm a little confused on how the number of pins/inputs/outputs affect everything. Is it if I have 8 inputs/outputs then I can have 1 button/switch and 7 servos?

God, I am so sorry this was so long. I have been trying to figure all of this out by myself and all I did was add more questions so here I am. If you guys are interested I will post my progress with the suit whether it be the whole thing or just the electronic parts. Thank you in advance.

It sounds like you will need a lot of PWM outputs.
I think you will find everything you need in Nigel's tutorials.
Have fun
Nigel's tutorials in asm...
Nigel's tutorials.. re-written in C.

It sounds like you will need a lot of PWM outputs.
I think you will find everything you need in Nigel's tutorials.
Have fun
Nigel's tutorials in asm...
Nigel's tutorials.. re-written in C.

awesome! thank you, this is exactly what I need. I couldn't find anything that really explained it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back