Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series to Parallel conversion in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizla90

Hello everyone!
My name is riz and I am new to circuits. I have a mechanical engineering background and of late I have a project to design a circuit for the following picture below:
**broken link removed**

The circuit has to work like this that there is a main switch in it and 4 individual switches connected in parallel to the motor. like when one switch is closed the solenoid works! (Actually it is a circuit to operate four solenoid pneumatic valves)
by the way i used Circuit Wizard software to draw this circuit and it works fine in simulation of that software.
So my question is that does this circuit looks fine and achievable? Also another thing which is bothering me a lot is what component should I use for the series to parallel conversion? like wire from the main switch is dividing into four branches how do I achieve it? I would be glad if someone could share its link to me!

I would be very grateful if this forum members help me out because I am too worried and this is bothering me a lot!
Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,

The circuit doesnt look too bad. Can you connect all four wires to the switch terminal?

Hi,

The switch that has four wires going to it (far left).

You don't need any special serial-to-parallel conversion device. Just connect SW1 to the 4 fuses as you show (with a shorting type terminal strip, if needed to simplify the mechanical wire connections).

Thanks Zapper for the reply.
How will terminal strip work? like as it is in breadboard?
I will have one input from the battery and how do I create four outputs then?

Switch and fuse selection questions and ground connection?

Hello everyone,
I have some other questions regarding the circuit I am going to make in real. Please forgive me these questions may sound a little basic to everyone as I have mechanical engineering background I think I should ask them anyway!

This is the circuit I have to design (I have also posted the same picture in another topic)
**broken link removed**

So my first question is how do I select the appropriate switches?
Like I want one main switch and 4 same toggle switches. so How do I make sure I have the right switches?
What type of main switch should I use? ( I am thinking of the one which works on key)

Also what toggle switch will be needed if I want to connect LEDs to the circuit?

Second question is about the fuses. I am thinking of using four cartridge type fuses of 3A so would it be fine to use such fuse? Also how do I get the appropriate fuse holder? (Please also suggest the site from where I can buy them both).

Also one more question that what is ground connection and in what circumstances do I need it?

Please help me out with these questions I am just too worried!
Waiting for replies!
Thank you

You could hook it up something like this.

Solenoid Circuit Landscape.png

my question is how do i divide the power supply wire into four parts for the terminal strip input! please help me!

my question is how do i divide the power supply wire into four parts for the terminal strip input!

Easy as 1, 2, 3.

Have a look at the attached pictures.

JimB

Attachments

• Wiring by Numbers 1.JPG
    Wiring by Numbers 1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Wiring by Numbers 2.JPG
    Wiring by Numbers 2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Wiring by Numbers 3.JPG
    Wiring by Numbers 3.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 321
my question is how do i divide the power supply wire into four parts for the terminal strip input! please help me!

hi rizla,
All the 3 links you PM'd do not work.?

Look a JimB's solution, its nice and simple. post #12

E.

Something like this:
Terminal_strip.sized.jpg

EDIT: Sorry I missed the second page of this thread for some reason. JimB and "panic mode" already gave the same solution.

Very nice Mr T.

I was trying to avoid an involved discussion on the relative merits of ring tags, spade tags and bootlace ferrules etc.
Been there done that and got the headache in my professional life!:p

JimB

One suggestion. IMHO the four fuses are redundant.

Fuses are to prevent a fire in the event that wire insulation rubs through somewhere. The wires must be sized to carry 12A (if each solenoid takes 3A to operate). A single 12A fuse in the positive battery lead is all that is needed. The fuse should be first, followed by SW1 (the key switch). SW1 should be rated at a minimum of 12A, while all the other switches could be rated at a minimum of 3A (5A would provide a safety factor).

I was trying to avoid an involved discussion on the relative merits of ring tags, spade tags and bootlace ferrules etc.
Been there done that and got the headache in my professional life!:p

Good point. I was just trying to illustrate the general idea and found that photo.

Nobody's done a decent tutorial on how to use DIN terminal blocks. https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...cks_P-15/4784f273-1e2b-4a34-8da7-709d3af232aa

But, that's the standard for doing control panels. The DIN blocks are essentially an electrical/electronic erector set. You can get terminals and "jumpers" that don't take up positions. You can get fuseholders etc.

General rules, help the process along. A few are:
1. NEMA enclosure with a 1/4" aluminum sub-panel in the bottom.
2. ALWAYS have a set of blocks for inputs/outputs.
3. Wiring duct tidies up the whole thing.
4. I've used 7/? (7 strand that made up 18 AWG) for wiring and was really happy. The wire will stay put.

It does add considerable expense to a design and probably not warranted for you.

So, for a major panel I designed, all the I/O came in on one large piece of conduit. It had to go though a firewall, so they were individually strain relieved there and then became class II PTFE wiring. Low level detectors had their own conduit,

This was a building install, but yea real world things mean something. The difficulty repairing a system became apparent when the powers that be failed to follow my advice. It never became manageable.

You can imagine when you have a whole bunch of inputs that are basically from building infrastructure and someone wants to out the control system is a rack including powering of an air velocity alarm. Eventually, I managed to get the velocity detector powered from a control cabinet on the wall which helped a lot. But why connect 10 or 12 building infrastructure devices via a big cable?

You couldn't even disconnect both controllers from each other to troubleshoot and they were on slides. Terminal strips made the interconnections. A real mess.

I digress, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back