Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

series/parallel connection of power transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozikluv

:D hi,

i have been mulling this question for quite sometime now but have never come up to it, but here goes. i know the best approach is to go direct to what you need but there are situations where what you have available can't satisfy the need. i will definitely try this approach but before i do that i would like to solicit whatever comment, suggestions or criticisms to this idea.

situation 1: 2 units of 0-12v 1A transfo to be connected in series;
Q1. what will be the voltage measured end to end?
Q2. what will be the voltage measured from one end to the series connection.
Q3. What will be the available current?
Q4. is it necessary that the secondary output voltage be identical?

situation 2: 2 units of 0-12v 1A transfo or 2 units of 12-0-12v connected in parallel.
Q1. is it also necessary that the output voltage of the secondary are identical?

:D :oops: :wink: :shock: :roll:

mozikluv said:
:D hi,

i have been mulling this question for quite sometime now but have never come up to it, but here goes. i know the best approach is to go direct to what you need but there are situations where what you have available can't satisfy the need. i will definitely try this approach but before i do that i would like to solicit whatever comment, suggestions or criticisms to this idea.

situation 1: 2 units of 0-12v 1A transfo to be connected in series;
Q1. what will be the voltage measured end to end?
Q2. what will be the voltage measured from one end to the series connection.
Q3. What will be the available current?
Q4. is it necessary that the secondary output voltage be identical?

situation 2: 2 units of 0-12v 1A transfo or 2 units of 12-0-12v connected in parallel.
Q1. is it also necessary that the output voltage of the secondary are identical?

1/Q1 - 24V.
1/Q2 - 12V (effectively a 12-0-12 transformer).
1/Q3 - 1A.
1/Q4 - if you want 12-0-12 yes, if not it doesn't matter.

2/Q1 - yes.

If you're going to connect transformers in parallel, it's very important that they are exactly the same type of transformer, not just the same spec.

Just remember to be aware of correct phasing when connecting transformers. If you incorrectly phase your transformers, the series voltage will be zero (for situation 1). In situation 2 (parallel connection), incorrect phasing results in a short circuit, and your transformers will go up in a puff of smoke :twisted:

transformer questions

:D hi guys,

thanx for your replies.

a friend told me that if i connect in parallel i might have a problem like one of the transfo which has a slightly higher voltage providing the initial power output until the voltage goes down to the level of the other transfo.

i know that even if the transfo is of the same manufacturer and same specs. their output voltage would slightly differ.

pls. comment on the above hypothesis.

thanx :D

:D :shock: :lol: :eek: :roll: ''MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU GUYS!!!!!! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back