Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial WebCam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwolv

hello;

1- is there is any serial rs232 webcam available, please list them?

2- is there is any other type of serial cmos camera (low cost like web cam), with rs232 output, to be use with controller without usb? please list them?

3- the objective is to receive a one single frame image = still image on command, analyze, then request another still image, for robotic motion.

4- is there any reference to discuss the details of webcam output and image capture and frame formate and its details?

thank you for answering some of the questions.

elwolv

I don't think so. RS-232 is far too slow. Even at the maximum speed, it takes a couple minutes to transfer a single image that has anything anywhere close to photo quality resolution (800x600 or greater).

I think there are cameras out there that are RS_232 but they aren't "video cameras". THey are snapshot cameras.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
snap shot cameras for RS232

thank you for your response.

a snap shot camera is a better term to use to describe the intended use of the camera.

a snap shot cameras would be sufficient to do the application for robot navigation to anticipate obstacles.

the reason for asking about webcam video camera is their LOW cost!!!

1- is there is any snap shot cameras with cost similar to webcame?

2- can you list/sources for snap shot cameras with rs232 output with cost similar to webcam?

thank you again

elwolv

elwolv said:

a snap shot camera is a better term to use to describe the intended use of the camera.

a snap shot cameras would be sufficient to do the application for robot navigation to anticipate obstacles.

the reason for asking about webcam video camera is their LOW cost!!!

1- is there is any snap shot cameras with cost similar to webcame?

2- can you list/sources for snap shot cameras with rs232 output with cost similar to webcam?

thank you again

elwolv

THe source I listed is the only one I Know of. I don't know of any snapshots cameras but that's because I've never considered interfacing directly to a regular camera. THere is also the CMU cam which takes care of much of it for you (and has a processor onboard that is much more powerful than a PIC for you to use).

what about the chips are any available to construct a snap shot camera, similar to the one in the elecronics123?

elwolv

Omnivision and MIcron are two companies that make such CMIS image sensors.

thank you again.

this question about format output for snap shot camera:

we know that bayer format and JPEG are the 2 most used format for snap shot and video. there are many explanations for the format.

1- however, is there any source description for the format as an output and how to convert into image as (pixels? or bit map?) to display on the screen and save?

2- how to convert JPEG to pixel format for display and storage or what is the method to do that?

thank you
elwolv

Check out this site, handles all the dirty work for you. Not cheap though.
The jpeg standard and how to decode the bayer pattern are publicly avaiable, just search google and wikipedia for sites with details, it's processor intensive though, that's why dedicated hardware is often used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back