Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial to 8bit parallel converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wieweet

hi guys,

I'm working on a project and I need a serial to 8bit parallel converter component or circuit.
The serial signal will be generated by an arduino and will be transmitted over RF (got a premade rf transmitter and receiver). The signal will be in a rs232-style line coding meaning 1 start bit, my 8bit data and a stop bit.

On the receiving side i need to convert the serial signal to a parallel bits so with some logic port's it can figure out what action to perform. In my final project i will have multiple receivers so the component/circuit should be as cheap as possible;).

I've looked into shift registers but it doesn't seem to be easy to solve this problem that way. Also someone suggested using uart's (Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter) but i'm not entirely sure how they work and do they all need to be programmed? The main advantage of uart's seems to be oversampling... Any other suggestions always welcome:D.

thanks in advance,

Wieweet

Do your RF modules have in-built Manchester coding?, you can't sent plain RS232 over a radio link.

But in either case, use a processor at the receiver end as well - as you're using AVR's use one there as well. But unless the RF modules are made for it, you will have to use some kind of coding, like Manchester.

Use a UART. They are designed for the purpose of recovering RS232 signals. They don't require programming as such, but they do need proper interface signals to recover the signal, which is typically done by a microprocessor..

Does the transmitted signal data slowly change? If so, then you may be able to use a simple circuit to put the UART in a free-run mode and recover the signal. I once used two UARTs to remotely detect the position of eight toggle switches (the 8-bits) over a single pair of wires. The UART at the transmit (switch) end was set to free-run in the transmit mode and the UART at the other end was set to free-run in the receive mode. The main requirement is that the transmit and receive clock frequencies must be within a few percent of each other to insure correct recovery of the data.

Thanks for responding,
My starting point for this RF-link was form this project: Arduino RF Link.
He makes a rf link between 2 arduino's using the Arduino SoftwareSerial Library and 2 SparkFun chips. The chips i have got are very similar. The datasheet says RF ASK transmitter/receiver, it operates at 4334MHz and has a data rate of 4800bps.

My plan was to use the Arduino transmitter side (using the SoftwareSerial Library or my own code if it needs to be differend) and make my own reciever side. I already told you i will need multiple receiver's so i'm trying to avoid using another adruino for each of those.

To be able to respond on the Manchester coding question I'll have to educate myself on that first so i'll do that tomorrow:D, i'll also look more into the UART option but all i seem to find is complicated 40+ pin chips:confused:.

Thanks for responding,
My starting point for this RF-link was form this project: Arduino RF Link.
He makes a rf link between 2 arduino's using the Arduino SoftwareSerial Library and 2 SparkFun chips. The chips i have got are very similar. The datasheet says RF ASK transmitter/receiver, it operates at 4334MHz and has a data rate of 4800bps.

My plan was to use the Arduino transmitter side (using the SoftwareSerial Library or my own code if it needs to be differend) and make my own reciever side. I already told you i will need multiple receiver's so i'm trying to avoid using another adruino for each of those.

To be able to respond on the Manchester coding question I'll have to educate myself on that first so i'll do that tomorrow:D, i'll also look more into the UART option but all i seem to find is complicated 40+ pin chips:confused:.

UART's are big complicated chips, which is why you should use another AVR to do the job.

As for the radio modules, a crude system can be done using inverted RS232 (which is what the PIC examples at Sparkfun do), and presumably the AVR examples you posted do. To use a UART you would need to add a hardware inverter before it.

A suitable UART would be the 6402.

My starting point for this rf link was this project: Arduino RF Link.
He makes an RF link between 2 arduino's using the Arduino SoftwareSerial Library. For my project i'm trying to use the same principle but instead of using another Arduino at the receiver end I want to make my own receiver. This because there will be multiple receivers in my final project and I'm trying to avoid using an Arduino for each one.

The RF chips I have are basicly the same as used in the project i mentioned above. They are RF ASK modules (run at 434Mhz and have a 4800bps data rate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back