Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

Gday

I am familiar with using serial devices with a PIC using RX and TX.

A device i am planning on purchasing (http://www.wiznet.co.kr/pro_eg_EGSR7150MJ.htm) has serial signals TXD, RXD, RTS, CTS.

I assume TXD and RXD are TX and RX, but what is RTS and CTS and how do i use them?

Secondly, on the subject, do you think the EG-SR-7150MJ is a good Ethernet to Serial gateway? I was originally looking at the XPORT, its better, but more expensive.

Regards,
Mitch

RTS - request to send
CTS - Clear to send.

those are flow control signals. how you use them depends on whether you are implementing a terminal (DTE) or a computer (DCE). For a DTE, you want to send something, you raise RTS and wait for CTS to be raised.

note that the ethernet device also supports xon/xoff flow control. might be easier.

what does the EGSR7150MJ cost? I could only find an eval kit price ($190). I've used the xport - it's $50. don't really need an eval kit for it - I made my own board.

edit: I found it. wow. $34 USD, not bad. That's worth buying to check out. supposedly supports 100 mhz though that's unlikely to matter much as the max serial speed is 230K.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help philba.

First of all still on RTS/CTS, so i first must wait for my request to be cleared when sending a message, but do i have to clear incoming requests, or does it assume im ready?

Secondly, xon/xoff. After reading this i understand it will just send me a stop message, where if the stop pin is high/low (?) i just wait till its not, but what pin does it use, and do i stop when its high or low.

Or should i just use no flow control, im not sending much information?

On to the boards, i like the xport for its size only, but i suppose its not worth the $15. The EG-SR-7150MJ looks fine otherwise.

Regards,
Mitch

yes. basically.

xon/xoff is an in-line control. you send a ctrl-S (character value 19) to stop the flow. send a ctrl-Q (17) to resume the flow.

If you are sending small packets, try it without flow control. If your messages are smaller than the internal buffer, it should be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back