Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
You can also have a look at : http://www.talkingelectronics.com
Look under '' Microcontroller and PIC ''
I have one and it works very well! I also use a Parallel port programmer ( P16pro40 ) and I have had no problems at all with either of my programmers. Why specifically do you want a serial programmer?
Do a search on this site for '' programmer '' ( without the '' ) and avail yourself to the woes of serial programmers. They can be a bit tempramental!
Barry.

thank you my friends
i found what i need
it is easy for make
https://www.kitsrus.com/upuc.html#k149
download
diypack20
it has s/w,h/w & firmware
itis usb & rs232 interface you can make only rs232 for simple
i think itis nice to make k149b every thing is available to make it
but you need other programmer (P16pro40 ) first to program16f628 with firmware so i can use my old one(clasic programmer) first

Barry said:
Why specifically do you want a serial programmer?
Do a search on this site for '' programmer '' ( without the '' ) and avail yourself to the woes of serial programmers. They can be a bit tempramental!

Hi Barry,

He was asking for a programmer that's compatible with MPLAB, which uses a specific instruction set via the serial port to a programmer with an on-board processor.

This obviously works fine, all the PC does is transfer the data to the programmer board, and the on-board processor does the actual programming.

The programmer I gave the link for emulates the PicStart programmer, accepting the same instructions from the PC and giving the same responses back to MPLAB.

The 'serial' programmers which give problems (JDM etc.) are not true serial port programmers, they actually use the handshake lines rather than the serial port itself - 'wiggling' them in the same way as a parallel port programmer 'wiggles' the parallel port pins.

The programmer looks fine, it's a 'proper' serial programmer using an on-board processor. However, it's not compatible with MPLAB like the link I provided is - you can still use MPLAB, but you need to assemble the code and save it to disk, then load the HEX file into the programmer software to blow the chip. The PICStart+, and the link I gave, feed the programmer directly from withijn MPLAB.

I built kit 160 and 149 years ago, but it only worked with some PIcs, therfore I use , well, i don't know the name, but once, chippie send it the forum, I copied that and make it work for many Pics. I'm using it. I don't have to use pwr supply to program. The kit is very small, and I connect it directly to COM.

You can build Nigel's programmer picpro40, it's verygood, i'm sure. But there is some problems to XP. I don't know, just ask Nigel for details.

To work directly with MPLAB, I don't know what he meant, but I use MPLAB for my PICs, it's oki.

falleafd said:
"149 years ago"

Are you really that old? :lol:

Sorry, but it just struck me the instant it appeared on screen!.

To work directly with MPLAB, I don't know what he meant, but I use MPLAB for my PICs, it's oki.

MPLAB will directly feed the PICStart+ from within the program, you don't need any other program to blow the PIC - most other programmers require you to load the HEX file into a seperate program to blow the PIC.

hi falleafd & nigel
the programmer i mentioned is very new
and no problem to use mplab first
nigel does winpicprog not need mplab for decode source file
in other words can i use your free programmer without mplab
can you list for me all supported pic's with your soft ware

besho741 said:
hi falleafd & nigel
the programmer i mentioned is very new

It's been about for a fair while, the USB option is pretty new (probably about a year old?), but it's only implemented using a USB/Serial chip, the programmer itself is still a serial one.

and no problem to use mplab first
nigel does winpicprog not need mplab for decode source file
in other words can i use your free programmer without mplab

All a programmer needs is a hex file, as to where that comes from varies considerably - MPLAB is one option, but personally I use MPASM to assemble my code. BASIC or C compilers may create HEX files directly, or may produce an ASM file and call MPASM to assemble it.

can you list for me all supported pic's with your soft ware

There's a list on my web site, the next version will support a few more when it's released.

Hi all,
Sorry guys, I must have misread the post. Please ignore my ramblings on this occasion!
Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back