Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial ports not working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomble said:
Hi again,
Uh, Simran, if I read your comment correctly then maybe the loopback test you described would not completely prove that the hardware was ok, because you said you only connected pins 2 and 3, and turned off the flow control. So what if somehow it was just the flow control pins that were at fault? I'm not sure if it's possible for that to happen, or for that matter for some virus etc to grab just one pin of a port- it sounds somehow unlikely, but the whole situation sounds kinda weird anyway :D The loopback circuit shown on the page Eric linked would be more complete.

Hi Tomble!

I read his last post a little differently--I think Simran was saying that the pin 2-to-3 thing would show (at least minimally) that the com port was working--and that they'd tried this and couldn't get any echo off it. If you read it right and I read it wrong, then I'm totally with you on this. I can't think of any reason for a virus to just grab the flow control pins either.

Simran, you must explain exactly (and not just with these little 6-line replies) what you've tried and what exactly isn't working. Are you getting gibberish on the ports? Are you just getting nothing? Does Hyperterminal report that the ports are in use? Have you tried a Linux live CD? If not, then *why not*?

Throw us a bone here!

Torben

Torben said:
Hi Tomble!

I read his last post a little differently--I think Simran was saying that the pin 2-to-3 thing would show (at least minimally) that the com port was working--and that they'd tried this and couldn't get any echo off it. If you read it right and I read it wrong, then I'm totally with you on this. I can't think of any reason for a virus to just grab the flow control pins either.

Simran, you must explain exactly (and not just with these little 6-line replies) what you've tried and what exactly isn't working. Are you getting gibberish on the ports? Are you just getting nothing? Does Hyperterminal report that the ports are in use? Have you tried a Linux live CD? If not, then *why not*?

Throw us a bone here!

Torben

Hi,
How do I find my particular's COM port address in my PC ?
And one more i wish to use USB as my COM port in my laptop.what should i do inorder to convert from RS232 to USB ?

THanks

flemmard said:
Hi,
And one more i wish to use USB as my COM port in my laptop.what should i do inorder to convert from RS232 to USB ?

THanks

hi,
Why are you asking for COM address?

You need a USB to RS232 adaptor.

EDITED:

Last edited:
flemmard said:
Hi,

THanks

Hi Flemmard!

You should really start a new thread for a new topic, instead of hijacking someone else's. That said, this link might help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COM_(hardware_interface).

The RS-232 to USB converter is more complicated and you should start a new thread for that one. :) Googling for 'rs-232 to usb converter' might help too.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back