Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Port...

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidhelix

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick (old) it has 15 pin serial port
I can not plug it into my PC it only has 9 pin in the sound card.

Is there a way that my 15 pin serial converted into a 9 pin?

solidhelix said:
I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick (old) it has 15 pin serial port
I can not plug it into my PC it only has 9 pin in the sound card.

Is there a way that my 15 pin serial converted into a 9 pin?

The joystick isn't for a serial port, it's for a PC game port, the port provides crude analog inputs for reading a resistive joystick, plus button inputs. They also usually include a partial MIDI interface, which requires an adaptor to be used.

If the 9 pin socket on your PC is a serial port (as it's likely to be), you can't plug an analogue joystick into it.

Is your PC a laptop?, if so it probably won't have a game port.

My PC is a Desktop...the Game Port in my PC have only 9 holes
(dunno if it is the right word for that)...the Joystick have 15 PINS...
Obviously I cant plug it...so is there a way I can plug that?

THX 4 d time...

solidhelix said:
My PC is a Desktop...the Game Port in my PC have only 9 holes
(dunno if it is the right word for that)...the Joystick have 15 PINS...
Obviously I cant plug it...so is there a way I can plug that?

Are you sure it's a game port on your PC?, a 9 pin D is the standard connector for a serial port - which your PC is more likely to have two off, than it is to have a game port.

It's possible that there may be a game port on the motherboard, and you require an extension socket to bring it out the back?.

Your motherboard manual should explain all about it anyway, and (assuming the 9 pin is a game port?) will tell you the pin connections.

The sound card is the only one with a Game Port in the Mobo(motherboard)

a 9 pin D is the standard connector for a serial port - which your PC is more likely to have two off, than it is to have a game port.

Thats odd it has only one port...

It's possible that there may be a game port on the motherboard, and you require an extension socket to bring it out the back?.

Your motherboard manual should explain all about it anyway, and (assuming the 9 pin is a game port?) will tell you the pin connections.

THX 4 d ADVICE and TIME ^^

solidhelix said:

If this socket is actually on the sound card, the instructions with the sound card should give details, what make and model is it?.

a 9 pin D is the standard connector for a serial port - which your PC is more likely to have two off, than it is to have a game port.

The other probably requires a socket fitting, is this a really old board?, pre-ATX?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
solidhelix said:

If this socket is actually on the sound card, the instructions with the sound card should give details, what make and model is it?.

The other probably requires a socket fitting, is this a really old board?, pre-ATX?.

I'm pretty sure my board doesn't have a header for a second serial port. And it was only made in 1999 I think. Maybe 98. My newer one computer's mobo doesn't have a second port, but I've only opened it once, so it might have a header for one.

Some of the proprietary machines like Compaq's , etc, had built in sound, with only 1/8" jacks for microphone, sound in, sound out. There was no MIDI/gameport connection. Most of these required an expansion header to gain this function. Pretty common on what were classed as business machines. If this is the case, you could always get a cheap soundcard, and disable the onboard device. Even the cheapest soundcard today will be equivalent or better than what was built-in to a '99 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back