Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial LED module help needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I am trying to figure out how to use this TSM6755 serial LED module I have.

I have done projects before using ordinary 7 segment LED displays and even a couple using LCDs.

I usually rely on the inbuilt MikroBasic library routines to use the LCDs and I am baffled by the method of interfacing and controlling this LED by serial.

Can anyone enlighten me in the usage of this module please?

This is the only info I can find on the net for the module.

Thanks.........Al

Attachments

• TSM6755.GIF
    TSM6755.GIF
    32.5 KB · Views: 214
First off, here's the data sheet. You'll have to send it a clock signal from one pin of your MCU. Then just before you send it the data on a second pin, you'll have to set a thrid pin of the MCU to high to set the enable bit. Each bit of the data signal corresponds to one of the segments in each of the 4 digits. The details are in the data sheet. MikroE has a pretty good forum. Have you asked around there? Someone might have already created a library for this.

Attachments

• TSM6X55.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 195
It appears that this module uses the MM5450 chip. Here's a datasheet which gives more information on how the MM5450 display driver chip works.

Jeff

Hi guys,

Thanks to both of you for the excellent extra info you provided, but there is a snag!

I have never sent a serial signal to control anything! The times I have used LCD displays all the data has been handled by the software library built in to MikroBasik, and unfortunately there is nothing to see about how this works.

Do you have any bits of basic, not neccessarily MB, that I could look at to get the idea please?

Or failing that can you point me to anywhere that has such info? All I get from googling is C or ASM and both are very alien to me.

Once I can actually see some basic code of how to send serial data I should be able to get my head round it better. :)

Thanks.........Al

Last edited:
I have never written a library for a serial interface and it would likely take me some time to figure out. It would probably be easier to write it in assembly because I imagine it would be more straighforward to account for the timing and ensure the correct number of program cycles are in between each transition of the clock and data signals, etc. If you are programming MCUs I would strongly encourage you to at least become familiar with assembly even if you still prefer most of the time to write in a higher language. If the MikroBasic IDE is like MikroC then it allows you to embed blocks of assembly code right into your other code so you don't have to write the whole program in one language or the other. Some operations, even when you're writing in a higher language are still more efficient and straighforward when done with assembly. Just my opinion. That being said, I'm sorry but I can't help you by supplying you with sample code.

A few suggestions:

Your issue is more one of programming than anything else. There is a microcontroller forum here that is probably more appropriate for this question. You might get help there:

Micro Controllers

Also, as I stated in a previous post there is also a forum on the MikroElektronika site that is routinely monitored by many of the MikroE product developers. I have gotten help there before and you might too:

MikroE Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back