Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial in, Parallel out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike

Hi guys,

I'm trying to interface a micro controller to an LCD but to save I/O pins I'm wanting to do this data transfer in serial format.

so really i'm asking for an IC that will build up the serial data and send it out in parallel data.
I need something that will convert 8 bit serial into 8 bit parallel. (8 data output pins)

Thanx in advance.

SIPO

The 74HC164 is a basic 8-bit serial-in, parallel-out shift register (the 74HC165 and HC166 are it's counterparts, 8-bit parallel-in, serial-out shift registers):

**broken link removed**

The 74HC594 and 595 are also 8-bit SIPOs, and add an output register to "double-buffer" the data. This is useful when you want all of the outputs to change on the same clock edge. The 594's output register has an independent clear, while the 595's has a tri-state output enable:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The 74HC299 is a "universal" shift-register, it can input or output data as serial/parallel or parallel/serial, and can shift data in either direction:

**broken link removed**

All of these are available in other logic families as well, such as HCT or VHC. In the CD4000 family, the CD4015 is similar to the 74HC164 (although it's split into two 4-bit shift registers, it's easy to wire as a single 8-bit), and the CD4094 is similar to the 74HC595.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/11/cd4015.pdf

**broken link removed**

Phillips also makes an I2C version of an 8-bit universal shift register, the PCF8574, but it's fairly pricey compared to the standard CMOS logic parts:

**broken link removed**

Thankyou very much Exo and Laroche.
I was told the only way to do this was with a stand-alone Microcontroller that converted tthe signals.
Thanks guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back