Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial communication from PIC to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

flemmard

Hi all,
Need some help on my project.I wish to send data (5 hexadecimal digits) from EEPROM of my PIC16f877 to PC WIRELESSLY. The range can be less than one meter.Not a problem !

Is it better to use IR or RF ? Either is ok with me.How do i interface my IR transmitter circuit to PIC? And how do i receive those data to PC?
Any circuits available for reference?

Thanks !

IR is cheaper and easier, you can transmit data by modulating 38kHz in infrared diode and receive data by interpreting modulation on the receiver

flemmard said:
Hi all,
Need some help on my project.I wish to send data (5 hexadecimal digits) from EEPROM of my PIC16f877 to PC WIRELESSLY. The range can be less than one meter.Not a problem !

Is it better to use IR or RF ? Either is ok with me.How do i interface my IR transmitter circuit to PIC? And how do i receive those data to PC?
Any circuits available for reference?

Thanks !

hi,
Over such a short range ie: <= 1mtr, [PIC to PC] why dont you want to use a wire link?

ericgibbs said:
hi,
Over such a short range ie: <= 1mtr, [PIC to PC] why dont you want to use a wire link?

No, the user have to carry this PIC board.So, it's not attached to PC always.

flemmard said:
No, the user have to carry this PIC board.So, it's not attached to PC always.

hi,
There are connectors on most PC's USB,RS232, Parallel Port.

A connector system would be a lot cheaper that IR or RF.

Can you give us a little more background on your project?

ericgibbs said:
hi,
There are connectors on most PC's USB,RS232, Parallel Port.

A connector system would be a lot cheaper that IR or RF.

Can you give us a little more background on your project?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.My project is basically concerned about security like RFID.But in my project, i thought of using PIC microcontroller to store the security ID number of user(i.e worker to enter in his/her office) and retrieve the ID number from PIC whenever he wants to check-in to his/her office.
Check-in kiosk is my PC.:) So, PIC board will be his ID card in this card.
That's why i need to do that with IR.Any help would be appreciated

I'm just doing my home project.

:)

flemmard said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.My project is basically concerned about security like RFID.But in my project, i thought of using PIC microcontroller to store the security ID number of user(i.e worker to enter in his/her office) and retrieve the ID number from PIC whenever he wants to check-in to his/her office.
Check-in kiosk is my PC.:) So, PIC board will be his ID card in this card.
That's why i need to do that with IR.Any help would be appreciated

I'm just doing my home project.

:)

hi,
It sounds an interesting project.
With an IR system the 'pic board' would have to be 'visible', that is the user would have to wear it in view or pull it from their pocket, when entering the room.
The advantage of an RF system is that the user could have the 'pic board' in his pocket/handbag etc....

It would have to be a limited range RF, else the other RF boards could cause problems, depending if you design the system to be automatic or the user has to push a button to activate the RF system.

What did you have in mind?

ericgibbs said:
hi,
It sounds an interesting project.
With an IR system the 'pic board' would have to be 'visible', that is the user would have to wear it in view or pull it from their pocket, when entering the room.
The advantage of an RF system is that the user could have the 'pic board' in his pocket/handbag etc....

It would have to be a limited range RF, else the other RF boards could cause problems, depending if you design the system to be automatic or the user has to push a button to activate the RF system.

What did you have in mind?

I would like to go for push button kinda stuff? Is there any RF module in very short range?
BTW, i understand that Microchip has come out with RfPIC .Can i use that?
Please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back