Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequential Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone i was hoping someone can help me here. I want to mae something that will allow me to flash my tail lights sequentially for the blinkers, and then for the brakes have them flash out and stay steady,i have 3 lamps to light in order example. blinker: 1-2-3 reset 1-2-3... Brakes: 1-12-123-steady.

I have general electronics knowledge and i assume something could be made using a 555 timer, any help would be GREAT. i would assume the one circuit for the brake light would work because the blinker goes on-off-on-off which would start the circuit then turn it off, start, off, but idk. something more smooth would be better but that might work

This question is ask here and other places on a regular basis. If you search here and on the web in general you will find several solutions. I think you will find it takes more then a 555.

Also depending on where you live the sequential stop lights may not be legal.

Please, i have searched ALL OVER, i cant find anything definitive, i have 4017 and 4011 pics and 555 timers readily available. if anyone can write something up involving those or ANY parts available from radio shack (prefferably with part numbers) i would be EXTREMELY Grateful, i researched the sequential laws, no problem. and i dont want to spend the $80 on the "kit" my supply voltage is automotive 12v regular with a peak of 13.8 so it needs to be safe up to 13.8v. i also would like to reshow my design flash diagram for my request

repeat
for flashers
and
hold
for brake lights
i need 12v outputs so i can change deopending on wheither i want led or incandescent.

Please, i have searched ALL OVER, i cant find anything definitive, i have 4017 and 4011 pics and 555 timers readily available. if anyone can write something up involving those or ANY parts available from radio shack (prefferably with part numbers) i would be EXTREMELY Grateful, i researched the sequential laws, no problem. and i dont want to spend the $80 on the "kit" my supply voltage is automotive 12v regular with a peak of 13.8 so it needs to be safe up to 13.8v. i also would like to reshow my design flash diagram for my request

repeat
for flashers
and
hold
for brake lights
i need 12v outputs so i can change deopending on wheither i want led or incandescent.

Why double post?

This isn't hard to do. This is how I'd do it:

First off I'm assuming this is for your car listed in your name, and does the usual GM method of controlling signal/brake lights (the signal and brake lights are shared, so when the brakes are applied at the same time as the signals, the one side signals and the other side stays steady).

You need the 4017, 3 set/reset latches, a 555 timer for the clock, AND and XOR gates and some transistors & relays to handle the load (lights).

Outputs 1-3 of the 4017 connect to the SET pin of the latches. So when each output of the 4017 goes high, the latch turns on. The outputs of these latches would go to a transistor to switch on a relay.

For your blinkers to flash, I'd connect output 4, 5 or 6 (depending on how much time delay you want) of the 4017 to the RESET pins of the latches. So the lights turn on in sequence and then all of them turn off at once.

You could use your turn signal switch as the input to enable the clock of the 4017. Make sure to debounce the switch input.

You need to make two identical circuits since adding the extra relays and logic to allow only one circuit would be just as complex (if not more so).

That takes care of the flashers, but the brakes are a little different. To get the brakes to work, you need to make sure the 4017 doesn't get to reset the latches by freezing the clock input after the first 3 inputs have come on (your hold function). So you need an input from the brake switch along with output 3 of the 4017 and you want to make sure when both of these are high that the clock is disabled. An AND gate for these two inputs plus an XOR on the clock enable (one input to the XOR is your signal switch input and the other is the output of the AND gate) should do it.

If you want to get even fancier, you could use AND gates on all three latches. The outputs of the latches are one input and the signal/brake switch is the other. This way, the instant you let off the brake (or cancel the signal lights) the output would switch off immediately instead of waiting for the sequence to end.

Now after reading all that, I think if you could find one for $80 that does everything then I'd probably go and buy it.

DAMN lol wow yeah i think youre right about that one. thank u for the attempt though, i may end up trying it anyway but i doubt it haha. thanks anyway

The taillights have 2 seperate circuits?

the bulbs have two seperat filiments inside.
so 2 seperate circuits??
I would think transistors instead of relays?? or even scrs

In the lights with two filaments one (bright) is for brake/turn signal, the other is for the tail lights and is not affected by turn signals or braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back