Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensors & Detectors & etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellTriX

Hey I'm wanting to start a new project using some micro controllers and such, but I wanted to get some ideas on some sensors.

I'd like to be able to detect things like chemicals in the air, oxygen content, maybe some other gases and interface them with the micro controller to set off alarms when certain levels get too high/low.

I'm even wanting things like frequency level meters. Such that if you turned on the microwave oven and it had a leak, releasing dangerous amounts of microwaves, the robot circuit would sound an alarm.

The radio frequency stuff shouldn't be a problem so I'm mainly looking for ideas on how to do gas sensing, ionization testing, etc.

Anything I can build at home to accomplish this? or maybe some cheap sensors I can buy that would interface well with a pic..

thanks.

You might check...
**broken link removed**

You would be completely wasting your time trying to detect microwave oven leakage, they don't leak - end of story!.

No need for a clever detector, just see if the door is ripped off or has a big hole smashed through it with a hammer.

The toy detectors like Radio Shack sell are a great deal too sensitive, and aren't calibrated in any way - so indicate when it's too low to matter.

Thanks for the link, and the comments.

One thing I was thinking of was a radio frequency meter, since I keep getting low signal between my wireless mouse and the base which are only 3 feet apart. My wifi router also has signal issues once in a while.
I wanted to setup a monitor to detect when an abnormal or stronger than normal radio signal is received and set off an alarm so I could measure the frequency and maybe even attempt to triangulate it.

Might find out someone with a high powered HAM is near me cooking me without me ever knowing :(

HellTriX said:
Thanks for the link, and the comments.

One thing I was thinking of was a radio frequency meter, since I keep getting low signal between my wireless mouse and the base which are only 3 feet apart. My wifi router also has signal issues once in a while.
I wanted to setup a monitor to detect when an abnormal or stronger than normal radio signal is received and set off an alarm so I could measure the frequency and maybe even attempt to triangulate it.

Might find out someone with a high powered HAM is near me cooking me without me ever knowing :(

You need an RF spectrum analyser - no problems with radio hams 'cooking' you, they are strictly limited in their RF output - it's commercial transmitters you should be more concerned about! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back