Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensorless BLDC motor can act as generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

They have some controller chips inside them that switches the coils in specific sequence to rotate the motor. So apparently they can't work as generator. But when I tried blowing in the CPU fan and measured the voltage generated, I could get as much as 1.5V.If I blow harder or rotate it by external means, I could get full 12V?

What puzzles me is since the coils are connected to output ports of the controller chips, how could we use the motor in reverse mode (i.e. generator mode)?

What puzzles me is since the coils are connected to output ports of the controller chips, how could we use the motor in reverse mode (i.e. generator mode)?

Most likely the ports on the controller chips have protection diodes. (diodes from pins to both power and ground) The protection diodes act like a full wave bridge.

If we line up 1000 teenage girls, all talking into CPU fans, we could power the grid.

Most likely the ports on the controller chips have protection diodes. (diodes from pins to both power and ground) The protection diodes act like a full wave bridge.

If we line up 1000 teenage girls, all talking into CPU fans, we could power the grid.
Although it may be possible to generate the wind power by your method, I don't think the protection diodes would be able to transfer power more than a few miliwatts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back