Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensor for alcohol in gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

Does anyone know of a sensor for how much alcohol (ethanol) is blended into a particular gasoline sample? Or is there a method that can be done electronically by density or what?

In two-stroke ultralight aircraft engines, a lot of the engine troubles with corrosion, seals, and fuel storage are blamed on alcohol in the fuel, but pumps do not state the alcohol content and it's a tough and inaccurate procedure to measure. The only procedure I know is to put it into a jar, add a measured amount of water, and shake it up then let it settle. Alcohol absorbs water, gasoline does not, but I am unsure if this procedure is even a valid measure.

I have looked on the internet and saw several references to the 85% ethanol E85 vehicle having a sensor to determine the alcohol content in the fuel and adjust the engine accordingly, but others say the exhaust oxygen sensor was the source for adjustments. I didn't find any more information on what the fuel sensor was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back