Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sensor current intensity

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonstreat

hi people!

I built a mini-truck, and wanted to apply an intensity sensor for when the engine makes a greater effort to load up the truck, he of the error, and the truck would not do anything for overweight ..

Someone can help me with some scheme or circuit?

Are you asking about a "current monitor"?

anything that fassa a reading of current ... for example the engine to consume 0.50mA, a CI would make the engine stop!

What level of current do you want to measure? What is the (electric?) motor voltage?

the motor is powered at 12V ...

when the engine into operation consumes 0.60mA, I wanted to put a safety when consume more than 60mA the engine stopped.

A hall effect sensor or sense resistor can be used to monitor the current drawn so you can cut the power when the current gets to high.

Another option is to use a PTC resistor (poly fuse/switch) or thermal circuit breaker to cut off the current when it's too high.

EDIT:

How big is this truck?

60mA is a tiny current with a power dissipation of only 720mW which isn't going to be enough to overheat anything.

Are you sure you don't mean 60A?

Last edited:
The 0.6mA makes no sense!

staff!

my truck is too small .. is a model!
is a job I did as a final year project!

imagine .. the truck picks up the pallet! an X weight ...

the truck, pick up a thing that pulls more current .. this would stop!

the engine with the pallet at the pallet consumes 0.800mA or 0.600mA, is a 12V DC motor

I wanted to apply a sort of weight sensor, if the truck does more power the sensor would stop the truck automatically!

Last edited:
Is 0.600mA

What doesn't make sense is the 0.6 mA which is 600 uA which is about nothing. Earlier you had higher current numbers listed. Matter of fact you mentioned 600 mA which makes sense. So what is it?

Ron

If you can power an electric motor on 12V*0.0006A = 7.2mW = 0.0072W, you are a bloody genius. You have (almost) invented PERPETUAL MOTION!

800mA sounds more like it.

You need to check your previous readings, it sounds like you had the meter set to Amps when you thought it was set to mA.

OK, with a few picky number details out of the way the motor is a 12 volt DC motor that runs at about 800 mA under normal load? Correct? What current do you want the motor to be at over current. This is generally a locked rotor or stall but the next step is to determine at what current you want things to shut down.

Let's assume we get that far. Then what? Now things are shut down so what do you have in mind for a reset?

Ron

the current limiter, to detect that the motor pulls more current, will trigger the alarm and the engine will stop! so I'll have to remove the pallet stacker ..

then click the switch and the mini-truck back to start the process!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back