Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensing the presence of Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

premkumar9

Hi,
For a project I need to sense the presence of train in the platform. I would like to have your suggestion on how this can be done.

Big and metal can easily be picked up by magnetic induction sensors.
Or a light beam that is broken by the trains location.
Reflected or blocked sound can work too.
Sensing its physical weight with load cells placed under the tracks.

Big and metal can easily be picked up by magnetic induction sensors.
Or a light beam that is broken by the trains location.
Reflected or blocked sound can work too.
Sensing its physical weight with load cells placed under the tracks.
Thanks. I will look in to these possibilities except the last one which will not be permissible.

Do you want to detect the train after it stops but not while it is moving?

I want to detect whether the train in the platform or left the platform. No problem even if a train moving through the platform with out stopping is also detected.

They way they do it in industry is an inductive proximity sensor, these are like a little metal tube about 1" by 2" size and weather sealed. These trigger an output if any steel is close to the front of the sensor. Then they mount the sensor close to the track rail on the inside so it triggers when the steel train wheel goes past.

They way they do it in industry is an inductive proximity sensor, these are like a little metal tube about 1" by 2" size and weather sealed. These trigger an output if any steel is close to the front of the sensor. Then they mount the sensor close to the track rail on the inside so it triggers when the steel train wheel goes past.
Thank you.

this is for model trains??

have seen several sites just for model trains.
mostly use IR beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back