Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensing Output From Spark Plug Cable Of Petrol Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achike

How can I sense induced voltage by wrapping a wire around the spark plug cable of a petrol engine. I have a a car alarm system that can remotely start my car. It came with a device that has a wire that you wrap around the spark plug cable to tell the electronics that the car has started. This system is sealed up by the manufacturer so I can't access the cct. I need an output that I can amplify to drive a 12V relay. Anyone with an idea? Thanks

A couple of turns of 1 mm² wire around one of the sparkplug leads will work fine.
Leave one end open and the other end goes to your BC547.
Bring that to the base of a BC 547. fit a base resistor 47k. and a protection diode + resistor to negative to protect your base from overvoltage.
A bit of trial and error may be needed, see what works best.
Than amplify signal to whatever circuit you want to drive.

I used it to drive a LED and a pulsecounter in my old Ford Falcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back