Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Senior Project-Ideas/Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaayB

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and came aboard in hopes of some help/critique with an upcoming senior project. The first phase of my senior design has just started this semester and will be finished next semester (Spring 15'). So, I do have some time to implement and design but need to start researching and getting ideas beforehand.

My design: I've decided to come up with an autonomous garage door opener system. The premise is quite simple. Even though people have a simple button they can click to open the door, sometimes (I know myself) can fumble through the car to find it, if it's not hanging on the visor. So, how about a system where when you leave your driveway there are sensors that detect your vehicle leaving and in return will automatically close the door for you. Same idea when you return home, sensors know the car is entering the driveway and will automatically open the garage door. The system should/would be smart enough to already know that if you do return home and your door is already open, that it won't shut the door (current state).

I'm just not sure how to get data to some type of receiver within the car after (I'm thinking a laser sensor) is tripped. I know they have RFID Bluetooth but I do not want this system being tied to a cell phone. Reason being is that if someone goes to get mail or comes close to the sensor at the end of the driveway we do not want garage doors opening and closing. So, I was thinking of a laser system that when tripped (at the end of the driveway), is triggered and goes out to find a tag (?) from the device sitting within the car (low power, runs on battery perhaps--Active RFID(?). From there, it's verified, and relays the information back to the system within the garage. Problem is, I'm not sure if there are any devices/modules that will transmit like this.

Any input, both good and bad is welcomed. I'm all ears. Any help with what type of devices would be able to tie together. I'm thinking of an Arduino for the micro withing the garage, I do have an MSP430 here as well. I think the IDE for the Arduino is a little easier to use. My hurdle is that initial entrance into the driveway that verifies it's the right car, to open the correct door, and then relay it back. Of course, all data needs to be sent over the air.

Thank you!
-J

What about using the same kind of sensors that open doors for people in supermarkets (outdoor motion sensor). If the sensor detects an object in front of the garage door, then it sends a (433 Mhz) radio message to the car. If the object in front of the garage is a car with power on, then the car responds to the radio message with "open door" message. The "door" could keep sending these messages until it does not get any responds anymore (the car is shut down or is far away).. and then close the door. This system also allows the door being used "the usual way" with remote control. Also, add some safety sensors so that the door doesn't close if something is in the way.

Easy way to do the radio communication is to buy existing radio remote controllers and modify them to be controlled (triggered) with some intelligent system (microcontroller).

Last edited:
Opning/closing the garage door will require two position sensors (door closed, door open). If the door is stopped in between, it'll be generally unpredicatable which way it moves when you trigger a garage opener. So, it might be tricky to open/close the door without killing anyone in process.

Hmm, well the garage door I have now does have the safety sensors. But, this is a project and this should be designed as if no one has these sensors already built in. Tricky.

misterT -- with this approach, would it be possible to allow the system to know which door to open for the correct car? @ that frequency it will detect the cars presence (On) rather than something/someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back