Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending SMS to phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin mac

I'm looking to build an alarm so that when a person interrupts the circuit, a text message is sent to a mobile phone. I want a module that can be interfaced with a micro, to send the SMS. I believe it's a GSM module I'm looking for, can someone shed some light?

Its easy if you learn how the FBUS protocol works.Also you need to learn the AT command set that supports your mobile phone.After its easier to transfer them through RS232.

I haven't done with GSM modules & I have done with direct to phones data lines.I think the GSM modules does the same thing.

You can easily practice the AT command set by connecting the GSM module to the COM port & view them from hyper terminal to see how AT command set works.

You can check GSM modules from siemens ..

GSM/GPS XT75 QB GSM/GPRS-12/EDGE-10/GPS, TCP/IP, Java, 80-pin, UFL (150$)
GSM MC35iT DB GSM/GPRS-8 Terminal, DB9, FME (150$)
GSM TC65T QB GSM/GPRS-12 Terminal, DB9, 24-pin M-N-L, SMA (190$)

http://www.tdc.co.uk/datasite/wireless/gsm/_data/datasheet_xt75_175004.pdf
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

TC65 support SPI/I2C bus as well as rs232 .. all of them support rs232 .. pretty easy to use, especially for SMS .. they also support GPRS/EDGE (not all support edge, all support gprs) so you can even send data via network .. I saw only MC35iT with my own eyes and it is very small so you can put it anywhere :)

I used some old nokia 5110 but lost the darn datasheet with AT set to send sms .. but as I had no need for it for some time I was not really looking... The nokia AT set should be easy to find and as phone use ttl rx/tx .. you do not even need max232 .. you can directly connect your uC rs232 to the phone ..

EDIT: very usefull link:
EDIT: another one: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Great info on the modules arhi. I'll look into those. :)

the modules are great .. especially if you need network connectivity .. but if you just want to send/receive SMS I'd suggest hacking some old nokia .. cheapest module is 150$ and for e.g. I can get some used 3310 or 3110 nokia for under 50$ locally ..

you do not need any electronics between phone and uC .. maybe just a zener diode and few resistors (not sure what are the power levels on the phone rx/tx .. but I think they are 0-3.3V) - worst case scenario - you need max323 and few capacitors...

If you go with older phones (3310/3110 ..) you have to do 7bit sms packing (explained in 2 links I posted) and if you go with something newer you can use simple AT syntax to send/receive sms ... (I'd go with older protocol as it will work with all nokia phones)

EDIT: you can find pinout for all nokia phones here: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi. I have a 3220 and found some C code for connecting a PIC to it.
The guy is using 9600 baud. Is that possible since FBUS uses 115,200 baud?

Attachments

• PIC16F84.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Hi. I have a 3220 and found some C code for connecting a PIC to it.
The guy is using 9600 baud. Is that possible since FBUS uses 115,200 baud?

afaik the MBUS is 9600 and FBUS is 115000. 3220 should support both buses. I must admit that I never used phone from uC .. I used gnokii to send sms but that is connection from PC... it should be fairly simple to do the same thing from uC

i m going to do my project on anti theft fuel indicator....please suggest any method so that any drop in the liquid level..triggers an text message to mobile.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back