Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending SMS text via a GSM Modem and a PIC16F877A microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbrady

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can provide some advice on where to start with this project I am working on. I need to use the PIC16F877A microcontroller to detect certain conditions (this part is easy) and when the correct conditions are met i need to send some basic information via a SMS text message to the owner or a few numbers. I want to use the simplest method possible to just send basic text data. I have looked at alot of GSM modems on the web and they all appear to come in large (approx 4"x4") units and are cost approx €150 e.g (**broken link removed**).

Any simple microcontroller to mobile phone communication method you can suggest would be appreciated and low cost too if possible. tnx..

Something like SparkFun Electronics - GSM/GPRS Module - SM5100B is much cheaper (there are others on that site also).

An old mobile phone would also work, something like a Siemens or Nokia that has a serial interface. You could pick one up off of ebay, the communications protocols are documented on the internet for a number of these.

You would have to charge the battery in a phone, so I'd recommend a module.

thank you, I actually spotted this after I posted. Are you aware of any sites that will give you full c programs to run on PIC developer boards to interface with the gsm modem. From searching the web there are lots of bits of code everywhere with related problems too. I woudl like to get a clean program that I can run and prove it works and then customize it for what I need to do. Maybe this is asking too much!! tnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back