Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending data to laptop via USB from PIC16F684

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve311

Hi All,
Im working with a project that will require sending data from a PIC16F684 to a laptop. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Basically, the PIC will read specific values and send them to some sort (any sort) of GUI on a laptop via USB/RS-232.

Any thoughts?

Thanks All
SL

Use a USB/Serial converr lead, this allows a USB connection at the PC end (but allows you to access it as a virtual serial port making it simple to use), and a serial port at the PIC end, and serial is trivial to do in a PIC. It's up tp how you send the data, which depends a lot on what it is - if you send it as comma delimited data, you could read it directly in to a spread sheet?.

Thank you Nigel. Very interesting. I have a RS-232 to USB converter which should suffice for the data line. I am very unfimiliar with writing to a PC via PIC. I have never attempted this before. How would I send comma delimited data? I would LOVE to have the data sent directly to a spreadsheet such as Excel? Is this possible using a PIC16F684?

Thank you Nigel. Very interesting. I have a RS-232 to USB converter which should suffice for the data line. I am very unfimiliar with writing to a PC via PIC. I have never attempted this before. How would I send comma delimited data? I would LOVE to have the data sent directly to a spreadsheet such as Excel? Is this possible using a PIC16F684?

Check my tutorials, send the data as ASCII and simply add the commas in the correct places.

Nice tutorials. After looking at Tutorial 7 and its sub-tutorials regarding ASCII and RS-232, I am still a little unsure of how you are communicating with the PC. Are you putting any of that data into a spreadsheet? If so, what type?

Thanks in Advance

Nice tutorials. After looking at Tutorial 7 and its sub-tutorials regarding ASCII and RS-232, I am still a little unsure of how you are communicating with the PC. Are you putting any of that data into a spreadsheet? If so, what type?

No, I'm just displaying using Hyperterminal - but if you add comma delimiters (as and where required) a spreadsheet will be able to read the data directly, or save it to a PC file, then import from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back