Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self regulating water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjn566

what would be an affective way to regulate the tempurature of a pot of water (8-16 oz, ~200f)? the more accurate, the better

Im thinking thermister, potentiometer, relay, heating element; but i dont know anything about this.

The control system is only a part of the solution to regulating temperature. You've not stated much about the whole problem - maybe this is a homework assignment and some assumptions can be made or have to be made.

Tell us more about the problem.

maybe this is a homework assignment

no sir, its a coffee maker. i will be building a clay pot with embedded heating elements (ac, thats the idea anyway) and i need the water to remain at about 200 degrees farenheight while its on.

You might use an LM35 temperature sensor and connect it to a comparator. The second input of the comparator will determine the setpoint (when to switch on the heater).

Use a transistor at the comparator output to control a relay which in turn controls the heating element.

Think of the elevation of your location. 200deg/F (93.3deg/C) can be done up to 3000ft elevation. Exceeding that the water will be boiling at this temperature and create steam.

180deg/F (82.2deg/C) is normally used to keep coffee "burning hot".

Boncuk

You could modify a soldering iron temperature controller, with the output driving a triac or relay connected to the heating element. Noma brand block heater car cords with digital timers can also be used, simpler and more cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back