Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self powered LED pulse counter using photovoltaic optocoupler. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trisk3ll

Hi there,

I'd like to count pulses from the LED on my electricity meter. Pretty easy if I had a good power supply but I want to run on a coin cell battery. The tricky bit is I can't find a photo diode with a lower enough power consumption. I'm trying to work with a budget of 10-20uA (aiming for more than a year battery life). Lowest photo-diode I can find is 800uA which isn't going to work for me.

So I had the idea to use a photovoltaic light detector instead. ie. Use a sensor that converts the LED output into a tiny DC current without draining the battery.

Is this going to be possible? Does an LED emit enough light to activate a photovoltaic cell? If I could find a photo-cell that could register a LED pulse then I'd feed those pulses into an PIC interrupt and that would be my counter.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
D.

I don't want to pull the meter apart to get at the powered parts. So battery operation is what I have to work with.

I was afraid a photocell might take a bit more to trigger than an LED blink. Can you suggest any advance on 800uA continuous draw for monitoring blinks then?

A photo-diode generates only a small leakage current in the nA region when dark (where did you get the 800µA value?). Do you have a way to block ambient light from the diode so that it only sees the LED light?

If so you should be able to use a photo-diode with a micropower op amp to amplify the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back