Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self Capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi,

I am reading conflicting things about self Capacitance when Shielding a Coil, can someone help..
IE: I have a coil of wire --say 25 turns, 250mm dia formed from looping in my hands & bound together with a non conductive thread.

I have read on some sites that there is no affect on Capacitance when the Conductive Shielding is Grounded & then on other sites they say it affects Capacitance grounded or not?

Now my questions are, how do i work out the coil to shield capacitance if i wrap a conductive shielding material around this to eliminate stray fields from interupting the recieved signals.

Firstly with no AIR gap between the coil & shielding material?

Then also by introducing an Air gap between the coil & the shielding material how does this effect the results?

Or is there an online Calculator to do this?

I understand i will have to leave a small gap in the ends of the shield material to avoid unwanted eddy currents circulating in it.

Thank You

Last edited:
The answers to your question are not easy as there are a lot of factors involved. In simple terms anytime you have two conductors spaced by a distance you have capacitance. The amout of capacitance depends on the area of the conductors and the spacing between them. How it affects the operation depends on the frequency's involved. In general the lower the frequency the less effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back