Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self Buzzing buzzer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarts

I know there are those regular buzzers that we can find in alarm clocks etc witch require a pulsed signal to buzz, but there also are these different ones that has the buzzing circuit already built in. Just apply voltage and it will work.

The problem is I can't find these anywhere. Is there any keywords Is hould be looking for? For example this categoty:
https://ee.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...ionLocale=et_EE&catalogId=&prevNValues=202932

Are there any self buzzing ones? Basically I need resonably small and loud that works off 5VDC. Any suggestions? Please help!

There are plenty of "self buzzing". When I want one I can walk around the block to my local Radio Shack and buy all I want in 5 volt as well as 6 volt and 3.3 volt flavors. Unfortunately I have no clue where you are so I can't begin to tell you where to shop. Depending on exactly what you want, if you want loud, then Mallory Sonalert is a good line. If you just want small low volume then there is InterVox as well as others. Again, can't begin to tell you where to shop unless we know where you are located.

Ron

Thanks for answers.

ericgibbs, I picked the first one from the link you gave me. In the manual it says "Rated Voltage (Vp-p Square Wave)". I think it still requires pulsed signal to operate? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

All other buzzers are not available here in Estonia(25€ shipping cost)

hi,
Its a piezo buzzer that you need to select from that link list, not a transducer.

Hi,

With the use of the micro controller being so popular these days, the piezo elements are more common and yes you need a pulsed wave to drive them, but the advantage is you have a more wide range of frequencies to choose from as you can change the frequency of your oscillator or uC output pin to indicate different things like modes or different errors, etc.

If you have trouble obtaining a ready made buzzer, you can always resort to using a single 555 chip with a regular piezo element type buzzer and set the frequency to some reasonable value. You can even add a parallel resistor somewhere to get the frequency to change to a different value, or even input a voltage to the "control voltage" pin on the 555. This all would not be too difficult to do and would not take up much space especially if you can use an SMD part.

Thanks for advice. My problem was that I have already made the circuit but later discovered that I can't output a clean PWM from general purpose I/O pin. The code that sets and clears the pin is not cosistent and signal is noisy. I can't use interrupts either. So I was looking for plug-and-play replacement.

A transducer is a speaker that is fed from an external amplifier or oscillator.
A buzzer has a built-in oscillator.

Several of these are examples of what I was talking about earlier. I assume you are in the UK? Anyway I have a few lying in front of me. Any parts house should carry them. The ones I have sitting here are a 1.5 to 3 volt and a 3.0 to 7.0 volt. Something you need to watch is for any given buzzer the louder it is, the more current it draws. You may want to consider this in your application. For example the 3.0 to 7.0 volt one sitting here running at 6 VDC draws 20 mA so figure at 5 VDC it would draw 15 mA or more. If you plan to drive something like this, make sure your uC can source the required current. Next, this thing says for 6 volts, 75db min at 20 cm for sound pressure. The louder the sound, the greater the current draw.

Basically I need resonably small and loud that works off 5VDC.

You don't define loud but remember that loud comes with the price of current. No big deal if you drive it with a 2N2222 transistor that can deliver 800 mA but a real big deal if you want to drive loud with a uC and limited source current out.

Again, small units like the ones I linked to should be readily available from any large parts house.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back