Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting (more like finding) a PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would one go about finding a PLD that would allow one to roll their own CD4020/CD4040 12/14 stage ripple counter?

This is the phase of the design process that bogs me down the most. Finding chips that will fit the bill. I know their out there but haven't found a good way of identifiying them. I've been looking but can't tell which one(s) would suit the purpose. The main point is that the first few stages of the 4020 are not on exposed pins. The last time I worked with PLD, the 8V10 was just starting to fade but still quite prominent. That doesn't appear to be the case today. In addition it would appear that to implement the CD4020 in a 8V10 type chip would require all stages to be exposed on an output pin; which is not what I want. So how would one go about finding a PLD (not microcontroller but combinatorial logic chip) that would fit this bill?

Last edited:
PLD:
16V8 has 8 Flip Flops so you could only get 8 stages.
22V10 is closer.
Atmel, Lattice, TI, Cypress
CPLD: Has more FFs and will do the job.
I like the XC9536 has 34 FF. Xilinx It is much like 4x(16V8)
ATF1500 is about the same size. Atmel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back