Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting board-to-board connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr

Hello,

Im designing a sensor's platform based on a stacked design, so I have two boards which I have to connect trough a board-to-board connector.
I already spent dozens of hours trying to select the most appropriate connector but Im still not sure.
Some specs Im looking for:
- small (about 1cm on the wider side)
- should provide a solid connection (a "click" sound)
- 15~20 pins, 2 rows
- stack height = 5~6mm
- polarized

My first choice was this (from FCI):
20021221-00012C4LF
20021321-00012C4LF

But they have only 12pin (pitch=1,27mm) and don't provide a solid connection.

Then I tried some Hirose DF9 series but the stack height is < 5mm.
Now Im using FCI Conan series (pitch = 1mm, 15pins):
91910-21415LF
91930-21115LF

These fit really well, but now Im worried about their availability.
Im in Europe so my prefered distributors are Mouser and Farnell. But just Mouser keeps stock of these connectors and the current stock is ~500 or less. So, I guess if I want to make >250 boards I will get a problem, taking into account that each board has 2 connectors.

So, I would like to ask you two questions:
1 ) Based on the specs above, could you suggest me a good board to board connector? (which has good availability)
2 ) What is the common practice on buying and maintaining connectors stock (from a commercial standpoint)? I guess relying on distributors is not safe.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have you tried Phoenix Contact. They make good 'clickable' connectors and you can swing things around on them once they are located. Nice and solid with good connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back